• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone dilema ??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jillporter1978

I live in the state of KY ... I added a line of service on my sprint wireless account for my ex boyfriend so that he could have better, cheaper service and a better quality phone. There is no question that I did pay 230 for the phone myself, and it was a gift from me to him. However, the monthly service fee of 70 dollars was clearly going to be his responsibility to pay at the first of each month to me personally . I of course had to commit to a 2 year plan (thinking we would be together forever) and after 3 months he left to never return ... He begged me to not turn the phone off, and to let him keep it and he would pay the bill... I was TOTALLY against doing so, and begged him to just give me the phone back, and go away ... he insisted he needed it, and i finally agreed as long as he paid the bill as he was supposed to . He did pay it for 2 months straight .. everything was fine ... then suddenly i find the phone laying outside in my yard, where he threw it without even telling me, and I got a note from him saying basically "screw u, and this phone too ... i got another phone now and dont want this piece of crap u bought me anymore" ... now im stuck in 2 year contract on that phone .. and yes, i did beg him to give the phone and service up for a while when he left, but he refused and we did make a verbal agreement that I would keep my word and not interupt his service as long as he paid what he owed each month ... To top it all off, the phone was 3 months old or so when he returned it in my yard (in the snow) and was broken being that it would not charge. I took it to get it repaired immediatly and the charger port was tore up, which cost me 100 dollars for a replacement phone (that was with my insurance) ... Is he responsible for the phone replacement cost, or any of the 2 year agreement we made on the phone ? I am NOT asking him to pay the 230 bucks that the phone cost, bc i DID give it to him as basically a gift ... PLEASE HELP!:confused:

swalsh411

You are responsible for paying the bill. You might win in small claims court if you can prove he agreed to pay each month for the entire 2 year contract. He will probably claim that he only agreed to pay for the time he was using the phone.

Mass_Shyster

Check with Sprint and see if you can change the monthly plan. You may be able to reduce the minutes or data to zero and only pay a nominal monthly fee. I know Verizon will allow that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">