• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cell phone text & picture message copies

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aicenhour

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? North Carolina. My personal cell phone went missing for about 2 weeks while on a business trip. I thought maybe I just left it at home and couldn't remember and I had a business phone so i really didn't worry about it. After the 2nd week it mysteriously turned up in the company car that about 5 people share and was fully charged. I found this odd so i looked at my usage and i had over $300 in usage charges from these 2 weeks and alot of text & picture messages to and from a local number in the area we were in. My phone also suffered some damage and since it is out of warranty the cell phone provider will not cover it. All together it is about $500 worth of damage. I am pretty sure i know who did it but I need proof. The cell phone company will not release the picture/text messages to me without a subpoena. Those pictures are my proof of who was using the phone as there are most likely pictures of this person on there. How do i get a subpoena for these records? Do I have to obtain a lawyer just to get the subpoena? How much all this cost?

swalsh411

If you have to ask, then yes you will need a lawyer, and it will cost you a lot more than $500 to see it through, and that's assuming the pictures show what you think they show. Next time, when you notice a cell phone missing, turn off service.

aicenhour

I understand that and trust me i will but if i take them to small claims court which is usually done without a lawyer, can I not get a subpoena myself?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">