• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cellphone Telemarketing harassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ebaysucks

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Massachusetts

Fairly recently my cellphone has been bombarded by a local company. They call, leave voice mails.
In between the unsolicited contact I called them up and told them to stop. I made it a memorable
call for the other party. I would suggest it was enough so she might mention it to her co-workers.
According to Manta they employ a staff of 50-99(more than I 1st thought but Manta can be off).

The service or product they were offering I don't use and never had used. I could make a convincing
case this is so.

I've had this cellphone number for over a year and never heard from them before.

I am registered on the do not call list.

Here's the thing though they called via a landline. Now I should say I never picked up the phone. If I
don't recognize a number I ignore it. There are many robo techniques where numbers are randomly dialed
just to see if someone will pick up. So i have no idea if they incorporated a combination of robo and human
solicitation. That's worth mentioning because companies do try to come up with loopholes until a law is
amended.

So my view point obvious prejudiced is harassment is harassment. What would small claims court think?
would I have any standing to sue them for harassment and violation of my privacy? Would a judge say they
are immune because they manually dialed? As mentioned I can prove I never used the product they were
trying to sell me. I can ask them right now for their do not call manual. Their annual revenue is $50-$100
million. Maximum lawsuit in my state for small claims is $7000($150 filing fee). Their argument will be even if
it could be construed as harassment and a violation of telemarketing laws that they had the wrong number
or were calling a number a former customer gave them. I'd argue you'd stop after you didn't hear back after
a few times. I'd argue when I returned the call to the representative from this company and told her not to
call my number and I spelled my number out she should have removed my number but obviously didn't. These
were multiple people calling me. So I think I could argue the humans no doubt using black AT&T rotary phones
were in fact robotic.

Having said that, does a judge just do I know what you mean but unfortunately the law is not on your side etc etc?

Or how about this, is it worth the $150 investment to see how the company reacts? Will they have a do not call manual?
Will they just want me to go a way? This is chump change to them.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Massachusetts

Fairly recently my cellphone has been bombarded by a local company. They call, leave voice mails.
In between the unsolicited contact I called them up and told them to stop. I made it a memorable
call for the other party. I would suggest it was enough so she might mention it to her co-workers.
According to Manta they employ a staff of 50-99(more than I 1st thought but Manta can be off).

The service or product they were offering I don't use and never had used. I could make a convincing
case this is so.

I've had this cellphone number for over a year and never heard from them before.

I am registered on the do not call list.

Here's the thing though they called via a landline. Now I should say I never picked up the phone. If I
don't recognize a number I ignore it. There are many robo techniques where numbers are randomly dialed
just to see if someone will pick up. So i have no idea if they incorporated a combination of robo and human
solicitation. That's worth mentioning because companies do try to come up with loopholes until a law is
amended.

So my view point obvious prejudiced is harassment is harassment. What would small claims court think?
would I have any standing to sue them for harassment and violation of my privacy? Would a judge say they
are immune because they manually dialed? As mentioned I can prove I never used the product they were
trying to sell me. I can ask them right now for their do not call manual. Their annual revenue is $50-$100
million. Maximum lawsuit in my state for small claims is $7000($150 filing fee). Their argument will be even if
it could be construed as harassment and a violation of telemarketing laws that they had the wrong number
or were calling a number a former customer gave them. I'd argue you'd stop after you didn't hear back after
a few times. I'd argue when I returned the call to the representative from this company and told her not to
call my number and I spelled my number out she should have removed my number but obviously didn't. These
were multiple people calling me. So I think I could argue the humans no doubt using black AT&T rotary phones
were in fact robotic.

Having said that, does a judge just do I know what you mean but unfortunately the law is not on your side etc etc?

Or how about this, is it worth the $150 investment to see how the company reacts? Will they have a do not call manual?
Will they just want me to go a way? This is chump change to them.
Wow, I simply block telemarketing numbers when they call...never bothers me again.

single317dad

- Manta is worthless.

- You need to consult an attorney if you want to pursue this matter. While you may actually have a case, you (no offense) don't present your thoughts very well and that will matter in court.

ebaysucks

Wow, I simply block telemarketing numbers when they call...never bothers me again.
Can you block a landline? I'm not cellphone savvy. This bombardment happened very quickly too. I just think because it's
a company and not some individual with the wrong number they should be made an example if possible.

ebaysucks

- Manta is worthless.

- You need to consult an attorney if you want to pursue this matter. While you may actually have a case, you (no offense) don't present your thoughts very well and that will matter in court.
I am purposely leaving out specifics. Liken this to a hypothetical question.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Can you block a landline? I'm not cellphone savvy. This bombardment happened very quickly too. I just think because it's
a company and not some individual with the wrong number they should be made an example if possible.
I block the specific number. Also, any number that comes up as "unknown" is blocked. I do it from my phone directly.

ebaysucks

We don't do hypotheticals.
So you personally have no specifics regarding the main part of my question,
do telemarketers get a pass if they manually call you up via a landline telephone?
There's no need to mention their name, post a log, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">