• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

charged for work not done

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rr1ten

I live in Texas,I just recently bought some land to put my mobile home on,I went to get the water cut on and they wanted 650 dollars, 400 being for a water tap into the main line, I tried to tell them that the water is already tapped in and piped to the house, all it needed was to take the lock off and turn on the meter, but they tell me that i have to pay for a water tap because no one has ever lived there, I tried to tell them that i am the 4th person to live on this property but they say i am wrong?...also the water tap and all utility hookups were included in the original sale of the property, I was there when they came and did the so called water tap, took them about 10 minutes , all they did was take off the lock and turn it on, so in my opinion I was charged for a water tap that they did not do and was already paid for in the original purchase of the land,... Is this something I could take to small claims court? also If 4 other people have lived on this property then it would make sense to me that the so called water tap would have to already be done and paid for before water could be piped on the property.....

BL

Does you water bill have a place and Number to contact about disputes with the Utility Company ?( If so contact them to make a complaint , or make a complaint with your local Attorney General's Office of Consumer Affairs - they will forward it to the right Agency . Have your purchase contract ( with the Tap already paid for ).

Contact your local Treasury or County Clerk's office to see if you can obtain any records of prior tenants on the Property .

JETX

rr1ten said:
I live in Texas,I just recently bought some land to put my mobile home on,I went to get the water cut on and they wanted 650 dollars, 400 being for a water tap into the main line, I tried to tell them that the water is already tapped in and piped to the house, all it needed was to take the lock off and turn on the meter, but they tell me that i have to pay for a water tap because no one has ever lived there, I tried to tell them that i am the 4th person to live on this property but they say i am wrong?
You keep referring to 'they', but don't identify who 'they' are???

Is 'they' a local plumber?? If so, get a different plumber.
Is 'they' the local utility?? If so, go down to their office and try to discuss your concerns with someone in management.

If all else fails, then yes, consider a small claims suit... but YOU had better be able to PROVE your case... by having a bill from a previous owner or someone (neighbor, etc.) willing to testify as to previous owners.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">