• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Cheated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajaykul

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas / CA

I moved recently to CA and have a car in Texas. I did not want to move the car to CAlifornia as it was old and the value was not much. I got introduced to this person who needed a car and we agreed on the following. He gives me 800$ upfront and I send him the title and he gives me the rest 500$.

He gave me the cheque which went through and I sent him the title for the car. Now he says that he never agreed to paying the rest.

I have a signed statement saying he agreed to pay the rest 500$ once he gets a title. I have the the proof that he received the title.

Now the question is

1. He is trying to hide the amount he owes me saying he has spent a bit on the car and showing other expenses. That was never the part of the deal

2. It does not make sense to me travelling to texas and filing a complaint and doing litigation. The flight alone will cost me the same amount that he owes me. But I do want him to realize he is a cheat and he will be punished. I dont care about the money so much that that I care for him to face action for his cheating.

Please advice what I could do.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas / CA

I moved recently to CA and have a car in Texas. I did not want to move the car to CAlifornia as it was old and the value was not much. I got introduced to this person who needed a car and we agreed on the following. He gives me 800$ upfront and I send him the title and he gives me the rest 500$.

He gave me the cheque which went through and I sent him the title for the car. Now he says that he never agreed to paying the rest.

I have a signed statement saying he agreed to pay the rest 500$ once he gets a title. I have the the proof that he received the title.

Now the question is

1. He is trying to hide the amount he owes me saying he has spent a bit on the car and showing other expenses. That was never the part of the deal

2. It does not make sense to me travelling to texas and filing a complaint and doing litigation. The flight alone will cost me the same amount that he owes me. But I do want him to realize he is a cheat and he will be punished. I dont care about the money so much that that I care for him to face action for his cheating.

Please advice what I could do.
Your choices are next to nothing if you are not willing to fly back and sue him in his jurisdiction.

sandyclaus

Your choices are next to nothing if you are not willing to fly back and sue him in his jurisdiction.
x2...

And I'm sure that the guy knows very well how much of a cheat he is, he just doesn't care. He's got you over a barrel and knows full well, because it will cost you more to pursue legal action than what the case is worth, and that will easily discourage you.

You made a rookie mistake when you signed over the title before the car was paid for in full. Now you understand why it was a bad idea in the first place. Expensive lesson learned.

Ikeroni

You can now e-file your small claims in Texas. Check the county website for a link or call the county clerks office.

Also, if you have to fly back to appear in court, then tack your flight amount on to what he owes you.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You can now e-file your small claims in Texas. Check the county website for a link or call the county clerks office.
But he still has to appear in person...

Also, if you have to fly back to appear in court, then tack your flight amount on to what he owes you.
He won't be able to recover that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">