• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

applelonia

What is the name of your state? Nevada
I moved out of a property back in March of this year. I put in a mail forwarding to my P.O. Box after about 3 months I kept calling the state of Indiana to find out where my child support check were and finally they told me that the checks had been cashed. Eight checks had all been cashed. I have had to do affidavits and send letters because I never received the checks. The finally sent me a copy of 3 of the checks front and back to see if the signature was mine and there was no signature on the back of the checks someone had just deposited them in there account. I believe this to have been the previous landlord because he has a lot of properties and someone was telling me that they have homes in another state and that the property management company just deposit the checks in their account and no signature is required. I left owning them no money and I'm not really sure why someone would take my child support checks. The bank will not tell me who account is on the back of my checks and I'm not sure how to go about solving this mess. Can I sue them in court for damages because I'm almost sure these people are capable of anything. Can I file this with the District Attorney's office here. The state of Indiana is investigating but since it happened in Las Vegas I need to know where I stand?:mad:

seniorjudge

If you want to file criminal charges, you need to do so in the place where it happened.

Also, if you got your money, you suffered no damages so you cannot sue in small claims. If you did not get your money, then you need to sue whoever you think did this in the place where it happened.

Dandy Don

You also should be filing a complaint with the Post Office about theft/interference with your mail so that they can also investigate (I'm not saying it's a postal employee who took it but that is a possibility). Also you or your attorney needs to get specific answers from the bank about exactly what account the money was deposited in--there are specific routing numbers/account numbers shown on any check that is processed, so if the bank pretends they can't tell you where the money is going and who got it, that is total BS and you need to confront them about it until you get an answer.

When you moved did you turn in an official change of address/forwarding notice to the post office? If you didn't do that, then that may be a partial reason why you are having problems with your mail being handled incorrectly and you may want to consider submitting that notice.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">