• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check stolen, forged, cashed; Bank won't reimburse me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kevin M

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TX

I had a check stolen from my home. It was filled pay to the order of someone I know. He wrote an amount of $579. Forged my signature. Then deposited at his bank.

I filed a case with the Austin police department. I notified my bank and petitioned for them to refund my account the money. They denied me citing that I did not use ordinary care in securing my checkbook. I found out later they denied me because when I was with a different bank this happened a few years before. I think they think Im in on the fraud or something... Im trying my best to pursue a criminal case but it just isnt big enough or important enough for the police to care about. The detective told me, "at least it was only one check"!

I have a copy of the check he cashed. I have a copy of my signature on file with the bank. I can find out what bank he cashed it with. I can also show the court what he used the cash for ($579 was monthly rent amount at an apartment complex he was staying at).

So who can I sue in small claims court? My bank, his bank or himself? I dont see a case being brought against his bank, just my bank and him for doing the crime. He has no assets or anything. The bank should pay me correct? I just dont want to file a small claim and be told by the judge Im suing the wrong entity. Please help!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">