• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Check stop-payment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

peacepeace

What is the name of your state? New York

I performed services for a company as a contractor for 3 months and billed them weekly. The checked that was mailed to me for the last invoice I could not cash until almost 3 months later because I was out of the county working for another company. When I tried to cash the check upon return it bounced due to a stop-payment. The company would not return my letters/e-mails. But I sent the matter to a collection agency, the company disputed the collection by saying that they were over-billed.

I filled a small-claims for the amount of the check, bank fees and the collection agency fees. What evidences would I have to show to the judge to win the case? The fact that I did get paid but latter on the company decided not to pay it for some reason is good enough proof in itself? Or should I have a witness (employee from the company) come to testify that I did perform work there during my last week.What is the name of your state?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">