• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Chemical Misuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

admixon

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma
I had a renter that workes for a major Equipment manufacture
He drives a company vehicle to do service on equipment. He was storing and using extremly strong solvent type chemicals at my home, which damaged the garage. The renter has filed bankruptcy and got out of back rent owed, I want to know if the company that he works for is responsible for recovery and damage done by the chemicals. There name was all over the containers, after contacting them they sent a company rep to pick up the containers but deny any liability for stolen chemicals.
Do I have a chance in collecting damages?

JETX

Based on your post, probably not. This is partly due to your statement that these were "stolen chemicals".
What did the company say when you sent them professional letter advising them of the damages??

N

nowpastdue

I am NOT an attorney.

#1 What damages specifically are you alledging that the chemicals caused to your property? How much did it cost to repair the damage?

#2 It is unclear to me if the renter is still occupying your property?

#3 So, the company is claiming the chemicals were stolen? Was the renter arrested for theft? Is he still working for the same company?

#4 When did you first discover the chemicals? Why did you not call the EPA?
I think letting the company reclaim the chemicals was a mistake but that is hindsight.

#5 Do you have at least a list of names of the chemicals, you said they were solvents? You are in OK, any chance the guy had a meth lab going?

#6 To answer your question about whether or not the company could be held responsible , IMO it is doubtful.

My only suggestion to you is that in the future you may wish visit your property occassionally to see if anything objectionable is going on before it can become a problem.

A

admixon

When first notified they were very nice and promptly sent someone out to pick up the containers, after further contact we were confronted with rude behavior. I just asked them to clean up the mess and paint. They said they could not watch there employees 24 7 and where not responsible. I however feel that Mr. Connelly in his daily duty took chemicals out in his truck and they should have some type of checks and balance as to where the chemicals went and where the used containers were disposed of. If they ended up in a ditch or a river they would be liable for the clean up!
Thanks for the response.
Tony

A

admixon

I did not discover the chemicals until after eviction of renter.
I took pictures of the containers
I felt that if the company came and claimed the chemicals they ultimatly claimed responsibility. Manufacture to Grave.
I did not call the EPA because I was just looking to have the damage repaired.
Total estimates were aprox $750.00 for repairs.
The man I called out said he must have been spraying the chemicals because the damage was to the tape on the walls and ceiling it all peeled away. damage was limited to the garage area.
Thanks for the response
admixon

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">