• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Civil lawsuit over 3,000

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Lowrider000

What is the name of your state? Tennessee
I had some work done on my car at the nearby automotive service station.They check my Air compressor on my cadillac and said it needed a new one and a Ofice tube that goes with the compressor,I said go ahead and fix it.I paid 800.00 for that.I drove my car for 2 months and every other week I had to put coolant in it.This went on for about 2 months.Then one day I notice my radiator was leaking coolant so I took it back to him and asked him how much would it cost to fix.He said 900.00 and I told him while he was under the hood to give me a tune up also,that was another 350.00.Total now is 2050.00 that I have paid this service guy.I went to pick my car up the next day and drove it,the check battery light came on,I just had a new battery put on 3 months ago,so I went to auto zone,and he told me the alternator was bad,I told him how could this happen with a car with 60,000 miles on it,The first thing he asked me if I had any work done on the car reasonly,I told him yes,He said that was my problem..on the North Star Engine are very hard to tune up if you don't know what you are doing.I told him who done the work and he said that service has had a lot of complaints,So I brought a new alt and let them put it on.The very next day my check coolant light came on so I took it back to them again,the guys that worked on the car knew where the coolant was leaking,they put a hole in the resvoir and tried to put a rubber pipe over it to hide it..I told that guy that was car was never coming back,So I took my car to a cadillac dealership to check everything that guy done.
The first when out the radiator back in,He broke a piece off of the cooling fan and that fan had to be replace.I paid 400.00 for that,then he told me the compressor need to be replace 1200.00
I told hin that was a new compressor,The guy at the cadilac dealership said it was a used one.I decline to get that fixed.The coolant resovoir cost 500.00,I decline to get that fixed also from the cadilac dealership.The guy at the cadillac dealership said due to the fan not working right and the resvoir leaking,my car head gasket need to be replaced.that is 2000.00
What court do I need to go if I am suing over 3000.00
Thanks for all your help

JETX

Though some sites show the small claims (more accurately called "General Session Courts') limit in Tennessee to be $15,000.00, I will assume that the state bar site (below) is accurate with a $10,000.00 limit.
For more, go to:
http://www.tba.org/lawbytes/T9_1800.html
http://www.korrnet.org/klas/gscourt.htm

After further research, it appears that the bar site is incorrect. Here is the appropriate statute:
"Tennessee §16-15-501. General jurisdiction.
(d) (1) Except as provided in subdivision (d)(2), the jurisdiction of courts of general sessions, where they have been created, shall extend to the sum of fifteen thousand dollars ($15,000) in all civil cases, both law and equity; provided, that this section shall not apply to cases of forcible entry and detainer, wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction; and provided further, that this section shall not apply to actions to recover personal property wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction, and jurisdiction to award an alternative money judgment not to exceed twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000); and general sessions judges shall have jurisdiction to issue restraining orders and to enforce the penalty provisions for violation of such restraining orders.

(2) (A) In any county having a population of not less than seven hundred thousand (700,000) according to the 1980 federal census or any subsequent federal census, the jurisdiction of courts of general sessions, where they have been created shall extend to the sum of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) in all civil cases, both law and equity; provided, that this subdivision shall not apply to cases of forcible entry and detainer, wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction; and provided further, that this subdivision shall not apply to actions to recover personal property wherein the court shall have original unlimited jurisdiction, including jurisdiction to award an alternative money judgment; and general sessions judges shall have jurisdiction to issue restraining orders and to enforce the penalty provisions for violation of such restraining orders.

(B) In any county having a population of not less than sixty-eight thousand one hundred (68,100) nor more than sixty-eight thousand four hundred (68,400) according to the 1990 federal census or any subsequent federal census, the jurisdiction of courts of general sessions, where they have been created shall extend to the sum of twenty-five thousand dollars ($25,000) in all civil cases, both law and equity; provided, that this subdivision shall not apply to cases of forcible entry and detainer, wherein the court shall have unlimited original jurisdiction; and provided further, that this subdivision shall not apply to actions to recover personal property wherein the court shall have original unlimited jurisdiction, including jurisdiction to award an alternative money judgment; and general sessions judges shall have jurisdiction to issue restraining orders and to enforce the penalty provisions for violation of such restraining orders.

(3) For the purpose of calculating whether a judgment entered by a court of general sessions is within or exceeds the monetary jurisdictional limits established for such courts by this subsection, the following amounts shall not be included:

(A) Any amount awarded for attorney fees;

(B) Any court costs assessed by the court; and

(C) Any discretionary costs assessed by the court. "
Source: http://198.187.128.12/tennessee/lpext.dll/Infobase/fff3/10580/1069b/1069c?fn=document-frame.htm&f=templates

However, with the issues you have, I would suggest you talk with a local attorney. Go to:
https://attorneypages.com/public/countycity.php?SID=46&TID=560

Ladynred

Yep, General Sesssions Court is where you need to go with this. You should also consider contacting whichever regulatory agency governs auto maintenance shops and file your complaint there as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">