• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Client forced labor guarantee to be added before paying for past work, now suing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

YoungTechGuy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York (Suffolk)

Initial Info
I'm an unregistered startup. I installed a camera system so client could "spy on his secretaries so they didn't steal cash." He was unbearably condescending the entire time and he coerced extra work by insisting we do it else he wouldn't pay. In one instance he demanded my partner repair an unrelated electrical box, refused to turn off the power to it, & resulted in the current shorting through my partner until the breaker tripped. I almost lost my partner, and my partner almost lost his life.

Contract Terms
My invoice states the unregistered company name and amount charged for parts & labor. He refused to sign it before we did labor, then forced me to type in an additional "Labor & Parts Guaranteed - 1yr" and reprint before he'd sign and pay us. He acquired my name and address separately, not on invoice, by being kind and acting as a curious Realtor, then became unbelievably hostile and condescending after acquiring the info.

Major Problem
The client then harassed me 2-3 times a week over 8-10 weeks for extra features we didn't discuss under threat of having someone else do it and then billing/suing us. He got +30hrs unpaid labor and travel for services we did not initially agree on such as electrician work, nightvision & motion notification on a system intending for spying on secretaries during work hours, and IT support for his phone, car bluetooth system, and printers. Twice he showed up to my house to coerce me into further labor. The first time I had to have an associate from Chrystler explain to him that enabling wifi on a cell phone can not damage his car radio that he was threatening to sue us for. He left me alone for months after that.

The 2nd time he showed up at my house he was complaining of a noise coming from the unit (thought it still functions fine aside from the noise) and refused to unplug/replug the system himself, calling 14 times and insisting that I drop my $90/hr client to do free work for him immediately. I finally had enough and told him the contract was to an unregistered business, he was incredibly abusive, and he owes us 30+ hrs of labor before I provide further assistance. I'd love it if he just stayed out of my life, but now he says he's suing because I refuse further abuse/enslavement. Does he have a case? The amount he paid us was $1500. I have no clue what scheme he's cooking up to sue me for.

Evidence Against Him
I logged 14 phone calls over the last 10hrs, lost the proof of the 80+ calls since we started last May. Took 2 videos showing his condescending nature, captured footage of him admitting that he initially had asked us for a solution to spying on secretaries and all work to follow was a scam, and got footage of him at my house yesterday screaming obscenities and getting out of his car to attempt to physically coerce me. I told him I'd counter-sue for the hours and harassment, but I doubt my anxiety, trauma, and emotional suffering counts for jack in court. Please help with any advice for defense/counter-suit.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

Based on the way you run our business, we can only refer you to a lawyer as you do not appear to have the business sense to have written a homemade contract that is somewhat binding. In the future, tell your partner to only touch one of the wires in a box at any time when they are live and to be wearing rubber sole shoes. You only get shocked when you complete a circuit. I fix hot wiring whenever it pops up. If you do not comprehend that, hire a professional.

YoungTechGuy

If I were to walk in and offer to do the work the next day & record him denying the service, would that obsolve me of responsibility for future labor? I understand I made a mistake with that contract. I learned that immediately. I just want this over without losing more time/money. I appreciate your advice on the electrical work. We've refused such work ever since.

Tell him to sue. Eventually you'll both be free of each other. And for crap sakes, call the cops & have him arrested for trespassing if he shows back up at your house acting like that.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Please either learn how to run your business (including obtaining proper licenses, etc.) or close up shop and find another way to earn money.

justalayman

Do you or your partner have an electrician's license? Does the business carry an electrical contractors license?

If no to either, you need to understand your legal limits lest you are going to have a lot of issues other than this guy.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">