• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Client Wants Money Back

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blankdesign

I am located in Central Illinois.
Months ago I was hire, no contract, no official employment, by a firm to recreate their web site. They paid me one half of the total amount, which was $1200 (+ $100 for hosting of the web site). $1300 total. Over the months, I created 4 different web site designs for them, each on of them was not liked by the client until finally the last one was chosen to be used.
The client specified that they did not want to use the text on their current site and would write their own.

For a while I was very lacking in communication with them, my marriage was in shambles. Although there was a lack of communication, there was never any content presented to me to be used on the site.

I recently got my life and marriage back on track, and then all of a sudden get a letter in the mail saying that the client had talked to a lawyer and wanted their money back.

This was a shock to me. My last communication with them was about some business cards I had designed for them. They wanted the files for them, rightfully so. I told them I would drop them by, but did not make it, so I then emailed them and gave them a link to the files which I had uploaded in ZIP format.

The client states they paid for a web site and never got one. I told them that they do have a web site, which is visible here: New Horizons Marketing
But that there is no content because I never received any, therefore it is not finished. On top of the fact that the money already paid has been well earned with the time I have put in already.

I have very little documentation of any of our interactions, which is completely my fault. What I need to know is, if i should just settle with these people, and pay the money back, or fight for what I have technically earned.
This all came as such a shock to me. All I thought was going on, is that I was waiting for content and then the site would be completed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">