• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

CO law on abandoned personal property?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

COTracie

What are the statutes/laws regarding abondoned personal property and my responsibilities for this neglected stash in Colorado? Can I get rid of it all?

I've had an ex's personal belongings since Sept. 8th. I asked him the day he moved back to Texas if we could use a couple days to figure out the best plan of action to take and was told "...It's too late for all of that." He has left everything with me and is playing games about getting it back. He has flip flopped on what to do with these things and I feel like a yo-yo.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado.

racer72

Send him a letter, CRRR, telling him he has a specified period of time to remove the items or you will consider them abandoned and dispose of them. Send a copy to yourself and keep the envelope sealed. 14 to 30 days would be considered plenty of time.

dcatz

Disposition of abandoned personal property appears to be dictated by municipal regulation. Cities with published regulations appear to require that it be turned over to the authorities (police) for storage and ultimate sale of unclaimed property. That, incidentally, is a common scheme in other states. Whether it applies to your location is unknown. Whether the property can be considered abandoned after a month and you’re still in contact “playing games” would seem to be important questions to resolve by first asking the local authorities.

racer may be right or the police may be willing to take the goods. In the meantime, by agreeing to hold the property, you’ve become a voluntary bailee and you have a minimal legal duty of care. If you’re not on the best of terms and you unilaterally decide when you can dispose of the of the goods, you could find yourself on the wrong end of a Small Claims action and back here asking new questions.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">