• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-signed a loan

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Terreoke22

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

My daughter and I Co-signed 2 loans for someone and they have yet to make a payment on them leaving us to pay the loans. If we take him to small claims court, I'm hoping that they will make him re-imburse us for what we have already paid, and make the rest of the payments on these loans. What would happen if the court told him to pay us back, and make the payments on the loan and he refuses to pay? Can they garnish his wages?

FlyingRon

Umm....absent some agreement to make payments to you, you have no standing to demand anything in court. By cosigning the loans you have agreed to make the payments if the other signers don't and it doesn't imply any recourse against them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">