• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Co-Signed for Rental in Indiana

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CACoSigner

I live in California, but co-signed for a rental for a family member in Indiana. The deposit was $400. The lease was up in August but the renters moved out in July due to the place being very run down and the landlord wouldn't fix things like a hold in the tub (they put duck tape on it) and holes in the heating vents (it gets to 19 degrees in the winter). There were some damages to the walls (holes and drawings on the walls). The landlords sent a statement to all three of us, me included, with a list of repairs that was definitely excessive, demanding an additional $995. We asked for details, hours and rates for labor and receipt for materials. They said they didn't have to send this and that they would just sue us. The charges included cleaning the carpets, we gave them a receipt showing we had them professionally cleaned, $200 for cutting weeds down, $50 for fixing their rusty fence (really old fence and we had asked them to fix it), hauling away a car that was abondoned there and was not either of the tenants car, sending us certified letters, etc. It is ridiculous. 2 questions.

Do they have to send the details (hours, rates, material receipts) before demanding money or suing?

Can they sue me in Indiana or will they have to sure me in California? It is the principle of the matter, so i am trying to find a lawyer out there (every one i have called said they have a conflict cause they have represented them before).

I am being taken advantage of. I did send them a counter offer of $550 by showing which of the charges i am willing to pay for an which i am not as well as reducing some of the excessive charges. They didn't answer and when i called the husband said he would have his wife call me back but she is just going to file anyway.

Help. They are slumlords.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
They can sue in Indiana. They don't have to send the detailed list you are requesting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">