• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

co signing options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

duncan13

Four years ago I thought I had co signed on a car, now realize I am the buyer and he is the co buyer, both listed as the registered owners. legal owner is the credit company. He made the payments until 8 months ago, now I am after late payments came up on my credit report. I can't find him. DOL said tabs were paid so he still in area (WA STATE)
Any options? Or I'm I stuck? Civil court would say he doesn't owe me cause I'm the buyer, right? He has had the car all the time, I just signed the contract not knowing what it meant - I know now you NEVER do that!
If I find it, do any rights to have a company take it away? If so how do I go about that? Thank you for any advice.

JETX

duncan13 said:
Any options? Or I'm I stuck? Civil court would say he doesn't owe me cause I'm the buyer, right?
If you are correct in that you are the primary on the note, then you are correct in that the courts likely would not see your payments as 'damages'.

If I find it, do any rights to have a company take it away?
If both names are on the title as you state, you would have an equal right to possession of the vehicle.

If so how do I go about that?
Start by looking in your local phone book for repo company's.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">