• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Coach stole money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bill guy

I didn't post in my first thread but here's the story. My team play for a semi pro team. Almost every semi pro team requires dues to be paid. Therefore my teammates paid ours which was $175. We have a team of about 50 players! The dues was suppose to cover the field we play on, referee fees, jerseys, and decals for our helmets. It also guaranteed that we was going to be playing a WHOLE season. Two games into the season our coach quit on us and has not responded to no one or replied to any messages. Come to find out he never purchased the jerseys, paid for the field or the referees. He took every player $175. Is there anything we can do to get the money back or file a class suit?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I didn't post in my first thread but here's the story. My team play for a semi pro team. Almost every semi pro team requires dues to be paid. Therefore my teammates paid ours which was $175. We have a team of about 50 players! The dues was suppose to cover the field we play on, referee fees, jerseys, and decals for our helmets. It also guaranteed that we was going to be playing a WHOLE season. Two games into the season our coach quit on us and has not responded to no one or replied to any messages. Come to find out he never purchased the jerseys, paid for the field or the referees. He took every player $175. Is there anything we can do to get the money back or file a class suit?
Was this crime reported to the police?

quincy

I agree with TheGeekess that the theft needs to be reported to the police, if you have not done so already. If convicted of the crime, it is likely that restitution will be ordered and the coach will have to pay back to each team member the money he stole. This does not, however, preclude a civil action filed against him.

Here is a link to Maryland Criminal Law §7-104 - see (g)(1): http://mgaleg.maryland.gov/webmga/frmStatutesText.aspx?article=gcr&section=7-104&ext=html&session=2015RS&tab=subject5

Here is a link to Maryland's Rules of Civil Procedure, Rule 2-231 Class Actions: https://govt.westlaw.com/mdc/Document/N51D5D4909CEA11DB9BCF9DAC28345A2A?viewType=FullText&originationContent=documenttoc&transitionType=CategoryPageItem&contextData=(sc.Default)

(if the links don't work, you can do a search for Maryland Criminal Law Section 7-104 and Maryland Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 2-231)

Last edited:

Bill guy

I'm a soon to be law school student, so I'm just wondering how can we prove that it's theft. Most of us lost our receipts. Some of us still have it. But he didn't sign nothing that says he had to provide us with those items. I don't think the police would do anything correct? And thanks for the help guys this is sad because we trusted him with all that money so we're trying to figure out a way to get it back

quincy

I'm a soon to be law school student, so I'm just wondering how can we prove that it's theft. Most of us lost our receipts. Some of us still have it. But he didn't sign nothing that says he had to provide us with those items. I don't think the police would do anything correct? And thanks for the help guys this is sad because we trusted him with all that money so we're trying to figure out a way to get it back
Proving theft?

You can report the theft of the team's money to the police and the coach's suspected role in the theft - using what evidence you have to support the report - and the police will investigate. Whether or not the coach will be charged with a crime will be determined in large part on the result of the police investigation.

If the prosecutor believes he can prove beyond a reasonable doubt that a crime was committed and the coach was the one who committed it, the coach will probably be charged.

For a civil action, you and your team members will need to prove by a preponderance of the evidence (a more-likely-than-not standard of evidence) that the team members' money was taken and the coach was the one who took it.

I suggest you report the theft to the police first to allow them to investigate and then, second, consult with an attorney in your area for a personal review of the evidence you and the team members have - to see if a civil action taken against the coach can be sufficiently supported.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">