• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Colect a judgement against a business

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ssjts

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in California and the business I sued and won has offices in NJ, FL and Ca. I had dealt with the NJ office . It is a shipping co. They do not respond to phone calls, letters, etc. How can I collect the judgement? How can I find out where they bank? Can I try collecting the money from the Ca branch?

Dandy Don

What is the state of the business that did you wrong? Where is the headquarters office? You need to be discussing this with a debt collection attorney.

dcatz

How can I collect the judgement?

That’s a very broad question and you may have many options. Your state offers possibly the largest set of enforcement “tools” of any in what is called the Enforcement of Judgments Act, but you don’t provide enough background information to make suggestions. First, use the “search” function. The question has been addressed many times before.
Second, a short answer is here:
http://www.courtinfo.ca.gov/selfhelp/smallclaims/collect.htm
Third, the EofJ is here, beginning at sect 680.010:
http://www.leginfo.ca.gov/cgi-bin/calawquery?codesection=ccp&codebody=&hits=20[url] [B]How can I find out where they bank?[/B] Again, not enough information. Did you write a check to them? Look on the back to see where it was negotiated. Have the local office manager ordered into court for an asset exam and ask. Of course, if they bank out of their HQ state, it’s not going to help. Then you may need to consider a till tap or keeper or some other appropriate method. If your judgment was in Small Claims, it could not have been fr more than $7,500 principal. You can recover post-judgment enforcement costs, but you have to decide what’s cost-effective. A collection attorney may be, but you can’t recover his/her fee. [B]Can I try collecting the money from the Ca branch?[/B] Yes, subject to the foregoing practical limitations.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">