• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

COLLECT A JUDGEMENT IN TEXAS...Can I file to garnish his wages in Texas?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

I am in the process of taking someone to small claims court who owes me for an unpaid loan, as well as, unpaid rent and late fees, totalling about $7300. If the judge grants me the judgement, I am reading that it is often difficult to get the money. I have read about garnishing wages, but found contradicting information regarding the law in Texas. Can you garnish wages in Texas? If so, what information would I need to do this? Any other options to help in collecting my money assuming that the judge grants me the judgement?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TEXAS

I am in the process of taking someone to small claims court who owes me for an unpaid loan, as well as, unpaid rent and late fees, totalling about $7300. If the judge grants me the judgement, I am reading that it is often difficult to get the money. I have read about garnishing wages, but found contradicting information regarding the law in Texas. Can you garnish wages in Texas? If so, what information would I need to do this? Any other options to help in collecting my money assuming that the judge grants me the judgement?
Wages cannot be garnished in Texas. Bank accounts can be levied though.

Great, thanks for the quick response. Any suggestions on how to find if he has a bank account? Any other options because I think he may not have a bank account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">