• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collectin small debt in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

theark

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

I live in Ohio - work in PA and here is my situation.

June 2007 I made a $600 personal loan to a co worker (PA resident) who promised to repay within 45 days (July 30 2007). This person is established, retired with $4000 monthly pension, owns home, married 35 years, and works full time $2500 mo. He had the ability to repay me.

He did not pay on date nor did he mention anything about the loan.
June 2008 I mentioned it has been 1 year and he owes me still. Did not get much of a response - just that he "hasn't forgotten about it"

Nov 2008 I got firm and asked what his plans are to repay me stating I was getting a lawyer. On that note he promised and did give me $100 next pay.

To date now just more promises to pay and never does.

I am planning now of taking this to small claims court myself.
Question
Should I have an attorney write him a letter about this matter? This would cost about me about $50.
Should I write a demand letter and send it to him?
Should I just address him personally at work telling of plan?

He owes me now $500, can I add any costs such as court, attorney cost?

I have cancelled check and kept records and dates of his excuses and have in a journal. Advise welcome.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">