• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting after judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scadadle15

What is the name of your state? Georgia

I would like to know more about collecting after a judgement is made in a small claims case.

I am suing for $700.00 plus court costs. I have a very strong case and believe I will win. I would like to know what the next step is after winning.

I am suing because the defendant was contracted to transport my horse from one city to another in addition to the payment of two months board at his farm. He took the money and did not transport the horse.

According to GA law, the court can not make the defendant pay. There are other options.

A lien placed on the defendants property
Garnishment of wages
Garnishment of bank account
Or a lawyer or collection agency

What do you suggest I persue in order to get the money?

The defendant owns a horse farm, horse trailer, and several horses. I do not believe that he has a job or paycheck aside from the income that he gets from boarding horses.

I've been hearing that most people never get their money back after winning. Is this true? What can I do?

Any other information about this situation would be greatly appreciated.

Happy Trails

scadadle15 said:
What is the name of your state? Georgia

I would like to know more about collecting after a judgement is made in a small claims case.

I am suing for $700.00 plus court costs. I have a very strong case and believe I will win. I would like to know what the next step is after winning.

I am suing because the defendant was contracted to transport my horse from one city to another in addition to the payment of two months board at his farm. He took the money and did not transport the horse.

According to GA law, the court can not make the defendant pay. There are other options.

A lien placed on the defendants property
Garnishment of wages
Garnishment of bank account
Or a lawyer or collection agency

What do you suggest I persue in order to get the money?

The defendant owns a horse farm, horse trailer, and several horses. I do not believe that he has a job or paycheck aside from the income that he gets from boarding horses.

I've been hearing that most people never get their money back after winning. Is this true? What can I do?

Any other information about this situation would be greatly appreciated.
You need to take this one step at a time. Win your judgement and then IF he doesn't pay, you'll need to consider the method you'll use to collect.

He may just pay it.

scadadle15

Well he agreed to pay me twice before and then didn't show up where/when we agreed to meet. This is why I am suing so I am not expecting him to willingly pay once the judgement is made.

I just want to see what the next step is and what my options are now so I can be prepared. I need the money so I'd like to get it back as soon as possible.

Happy Trails

scadadle15 said:
Well he agreed to pay me twice before and then didn't show up where/when we agreed to meet. This is why I am suing so I am not expecting him to willingly pay once the judgement is made.

I just want to see what the next step is and what my options are now so I can be prepared. I need the money so I'd like to get it back as soon as possible.
Then suing him may be the only recourse you have. Sometimes the plaintiff settles out of court (funny how that happens when they get served).

Otherwise any of the methods you mentioned would be an option for you to pursue.

Information link on the different methods:
http://www.gcacommission.org/counties/Magistrate/civilfaq.html

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">