• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting after Judgment is received

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BishopsPainting

What is the name of your state? Ohio

I'll try and make this as brief as possible. My husband painted Mr. F's house in June. He received an $800 deposit in cash and after completion was told 3 seperate times the payment would be brought to our home. Finally realized F was lying. We received a default judgment for $1390 in October. F will not return our phonecalls or even answer the phone (caller id). He is self employed and his wife works, but we don't know where. After receiving the judgment we certified the judgment and filed the papers to do a debtors exam. The judgment debtors never showed up. At first the court said there was nothing we could do because it's a civil matter, but after we obtained their social security #'s they did put a bench warrant out for their arrest (so they would have to complete the debors exam). But this was 3 weeks ago and I have since found out that they don't actually go and serve the warrants, they just put it into their computers so if they "happen" to come accross them they will arrest them. My question is. . .does anyone know of any further steps we can take? We seem to be at the end of our rope and it looks like this guy is going to end up not paying us. I had always thought the court would help enforce the laws, but I guess not. From what I have been able to find out about this guys credit history, I'm pretty sure he knew he wouldn't have to pay us. Anyway, thanks for taking the time to read this and any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

We do have both of their social security #'s but still can't find their employment information.

Thanks again.
Cathy

BishopsPainting

At the end of our rope

The judgment is in both of their names. She had promised the money also. I have already read the link you gave also, we've done just about everything possible. We even tried to follow him to work a couple times, but when we've filed all the required paperwork and even subpeona'd (sp) them into court and they ignore everything and we receive no help from the court . . . .what is left? As for the private detective we've looked into that too, but that costs $100's. We know the guy has been home everynight, I can't believe the sherriff's office won't go pick him up . . .what's the purpose of the bench warrant if they won't enforce that either, I mean I haven't been pulled over for anything in 18 years . . . .he could avoid the cops for just as long or longer. I am very dissapointed with our legal system! There should be some kind of way that with the judgment we could track down their employment, bank info etc. Otherwise, it's a worthless peice of paper. I thought maybe someone would know of an internet search or something that his SS# would come in handy to find employment info.

The only thing that got this guys attention is when we threatened to strip all the paint back off of his house. . .but then we'd probably end up in jail!

BishopsPainting

Thanks!

Thank you!! I have come accross the info that this was a possibility but, didn't know of any companies in Ohio. I've already sumbitted our information to one of the companies! Thanks so much for your help!

Have a great day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">