• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collecting after you win

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

KidzMom

What is the name of your state? NC

I saw this on another post.....

1) Give it to a collection agency on a contingent fee basis (no recovery-no fee).

How do you find a collection agency?
What is the average fee for collecting?

Thanks for any help....

dcatz

That was from something I posted. I can try to answer you, but I want to note that is taken out of context, and it was my belief that the OP wished to try to collect a judgment himself. The remainder of the post was based on that assumption.

If you’re looking for a resource, you could probably start with the telephone book, but the American Collectors Association is the largest association of bonded agencies, and you could do some searching there as well.
http://www.acainternational.org/MemberDirectory

If you want to refer an obligation to a collection agency, many factors will have bearing on the fee: amount of obligation, age, retail or commercial, pre-judgment or post-judgment to name a few. If you’re considering trying to place a single, relatively small obligation, as opposed to a “book of business”, expect a higher fee or even a request for a surcharge for the expense of setting you up in their system.

Weighing all factors, expect something in the range of 25-40%

If you have a judgment to be collected, you and the prior OP would probably be best served by finding a local attorney who does creditors’ rights/collection work. An agency would use an attorney to obtain enforcement “tools” from the court. Skip the middleman in that instance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">