• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collecting from a collection agency

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mibella

What is the name of your state? CA

I had a judgement filed against me the attached my checking acct I closed the acct. Refinanced the house paid the judgement.
However, they neglected to subtract the amount seized from the checking acct. in the payoff total. this was in June 2002 I have been trying to get the money from them ever since. Well I'm taking them to small claims, and in going over all the docs. I have discovered a rather large mathmatical error in my favor.

So my question is... does this constitute fraud? The amount is still within the confines of small claims but is considerably more than I was originally seeking. I need some input, should I keep this a small claims case or seek other action?

JETX

"does this constitute fraud?"
*** From your post, it would appear that this could be an error, rather than fraud.

"The amount is still within the confines of small claims but is considerably more than I was originally seeking. I need some input, should I keep this a small claims case or seek other action?"
*** Since you say the amount is still within the small claims limit, simply file an amended petition for the higher amount.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">