• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Damages

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sneaky pete

What is the name of your state?TN.
After damages are awarded to you in small claims court how can I collect if the guy at the body is self employed? I take it that a garnishment might not be much good.The guy only lives 3 blocks away and I see the cars he is repairing every day while going to the quick stop and know most of the people he is doing work for. I also have access to run tag numbers(cop freind). Dont think he owns very much except a car. Is there a way to attach the payment form a car he is repairing?

Thanks for any advice.

JETX

sneaky pete said:
Is there a way to attach the payment form a car he is repairing?
Yes. You can request a 'third party turnover' or '3rd party garnishment' order from the court.
There are other ways that you can force collection, including seizure of non-exempt property and assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">