• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting a debt for $830

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Ironworker, you can include details about the $830 debt that needs collecting by using the "edit post" feature found in the bottom of your original post - or you can use the "reply to thread" feature and add the details about your legal concerns that way.

Please be sure to include the name of your state. Laws, and how small claims courts operate, vary from state to state.

Also, you should avoid "preview post" because clicking on it erases content when a post is submitted, for some reason that I sure hope the forum tech wizards figure out soon and fix. At any rate, I imagine it was previewing your post before submission that deleted your post's text.

Thanks.

Ironworker

Omg that was such a long post 😖 well here we go again:
I live in Orlando, Florida and I have a iron work business, I fabricate and install custom fencing gates etc. The way I work is I receive 50% down payment for any job and the remaining balance is due when the job is completed. I had a customer of mine that I did two jobs for, the first one went good and he paid for everything and a few weeks later he ordered 3 handrails for his house, He paid the downpayment of $750 when he ordered the job but he was in a hurry and I didn't had time to Wait for me to write the invoice so we agreed he'd do so when I'm installing. He added a more expensive loops for another $80 a couple days later making his remaining balance $830. As it happened he wasn't there during the installation because he was out of town (or so he said) for a few days, I went ahead and installed everything and took pictures. That was 3 weeks ago and he's been giving me the run around ever since, he just doesn't want to pay. I have many text msgs between me and him about the job, price, money owed and all his excuses not to pay today and delaying every day. My question is what can I do legally to get him to pay what he owes me. I did the work and id like to get paid for it, biggest issue is I don't have a signed invoice for it. Can the text messages be used in court? What can I do? Small claims court?
Thanks

TigerD

Small claims - yes.

For the future:
Talk to a local attorney about creating a form contract for you to use that meets the requirements for placing a mechanics lien on the property. Then you can slap a lien on the property and wait for them to come to you (a bit more complicated than slapping but worth learning)..

TD

TigerD

So I have a good chance at small claims? How does it even work?
I didn't say you'd have a good chance - I said that would likely be your best path. You should read up on it. You will have to have to file, bring and present your evidence and ask the court to rule in your favor.

TD

TigerD

Can you be a little more specific? I've never had to deal with courts, just some general information please
http://www.flcourts.org/resources-and-services/family-courts/family-law-self-help-information/small-claims.stml

latigo

Can you be a little more specific? I've never had to deal with courts, just some general information please
You are assuming that the process of collecting the debt through a small claims action is more complicated than it is.

First of all you do not need a "signed invoice" to prove your claim!

And most importantly DO NOT FILE A MECHANICS LIEN! Even if it still available time wise, don't do it.

It is unnecessary in this instance. PLUS it would require you to follow the complex statutory mandates of creating the lien and eventually filing an action to foreclose the lien (F. S. . 713.22-2) and you would be so buried in legal mumbo jumbo you couldn't see daylight.

Just file the bloody claim. It isn't rocket science.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">