• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Debt on Oral K

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

StefSabo

What is the name of your state? New York

I have questions about collecting a debt. I have a friend that needs advice about representing herself pro se in small claims court or if there is another avenue to collect the debt.

She recenty did stylist work for a designer and the agreed upon cost was $1000 plus equipment cost of $80. [There was not a written contract, this is a contract for services and her part of the contract was performed]. However, she had been continually contacting the designer to collect her money but the designer had not responded to e-mails and his phone is shut off. She just had a response from him saying that his business partner has left him with no money.

The business is an LLC incorporated under the laws of Ohio but all agreements and performance ocurred in NYC.
There is no documentation of the contract and agreed upon price. However the $1000 and equipment cost are industry standards and she has performed her part of the oral contract.

If anyone has advice about the steps she should take to collect her money I would appreciate it.What is the name of your state?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

I have questions about collecting a debt. I recently passed the bar in Florida but am not licensed yet and a friend of mine in New York City has a question about collecting a debt owed to her. I told her I could try to find information about representing herself pro se in perhaps small claims court - but would be unable to give her "legal" advice.

This is an open invitation to disaster. Don't do this again. Ask your malpractice carrier why this sort of behavior on your part is a really bad idea.

She recenty did stylist work for a designer and the agreed upon cost was $1000 plus equipment cost of $80. [There was not a written contract, this is a contract for services and her part of the contract was performed]. However, she had been continually contacting the designer to collect her money but the designer had not responded to e-mails and his phone is shut off. She just had a response from him saying that his business partner has left him with no money.

The business is an LLC incorporated under the laws of Ohio but all agreements and performance ocurred in NYC.
There is no documentation of the contract and agreed upon price. However the $1000 and equipment cost are industry standards and she has performed her part of the oral contract.

If anyone has advice about the steps she should take to collect her money I would appreciate it.

She needs to sue everyone she thinks damaged her in small claims court.

Collect her money? Most (99.999%) of small claims judgments are uncollected because of the Byzantine regulations about collecting money. Plus, if the bad people have no money, she is SOL (does NOT stand for "statute of limitations"!)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">