• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Judgement from a Corporation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deedon

What is the name of your state?OH

I won a judgment against a propery management company for non return of rental deposit. The judge awarded double the amount of the deposit. It has been 30 days and I have not received anything from the company. What are the steps I need to take to collect this debt?

ENASNI

Congrats on your win.

I am happy for you so I will say this with a smile. :)
A search engine is a terrible thing to waste!

I found this on the web. It may help you get started on searches.

If you win your suit and the defendant fails to pay you, other avenues of relief may be open to you. You may seek a garnishment of the defendant's wages, an attachment of the defendant's personal property or bank account, or a judgment lien against any real estate owned by the defendant. Additional fees are required for these procedures, and court personnel can assist you with the paperwork

Contact the small claims courthouse clerk and see what ya can do!

deedon

Need More help

The infomation on the web is for winning a judgement against an individual. I need more info on getting judgement from a corporation.

racer72

Go to a good bookstore (Borders, Barnes and Noble) and buy a book by Nolo Press on small claims court for your state. This book will tell you how to collect your judgment.

JETX

deedon said:
What is the name of your state?OH

I won a judgment against a propery management company for non return of rental deposit. The judge awarded double the amount of the deposit. It has been 30 days and I have not received anything from the company. What are the steps I need to take to collect this debt?[/QUOTE
The steps for collecting from a corporation are very similar to those for an individual.... except easier since the corporation doesn't have the protection of the exemptions.
For the steps to enforce an Ohio judgment, go to:
http://www.courtclerk.org/small_claims_guide2.htm#21

The easiest thing to do is to do a 'live execution'.... and start seizing the corporations assets. I usually start with their network server and backup tapes.

stevek3

deedon said:
The infomation on the web is for winning a judgement against an individual. I need more info on getting judgement from a corporation.
I'm guessing your judgment is not all that large, probably less than $2,000? Assuming they have rental properties, it should be incredibly easy. Here's what I'd do...Look on the back of your past rent checks. Where do they bank? There's your money. The Clerk of Courts should have bank garnishment forms. Take a trip to the courthouse. You can even complete the forms there. You'll need to get your signature notarized, but they should have a notary. You'll need the garnishment court costs, whatever amount that is for that particular court, plus you'll need to write a separate $1.00 check made payable to the bank. You add the garnishment court costs to the total balance, so you'll get that reimbursed on the back end. When you're writing in the figures, don't forget to include the accrued month of statutory interest at 5% per annum. It's not much, but it's a few extra bucks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">