• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting judgement in PA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Downbutnotout2

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

Hi,
We won a small claims judgement. I am told that we can either do a sheriff sale or lein. But, the house is not in his name, though he has several other properties that he rents in his name in another state. Are we out of luck in collecting this? Is it true that people can just walk away from a court order with no penalty? :confused:

Last edited:

JETX

Downbutnotout2 said:
We won a small claims judgement and the person did not appeal or pay within 30 days. We went back to the judge and they signed the order. I am told that we can either do a sheriff sale or lein. But, because this is civil and not criminal, he doesn't have to let the sheriff in, so what is that? Plus, the house is in his wife's name, though he does have several other properties in his name in another state. Are we out of luck in collecting this? Is it true that people can just walk away from a court order with no penalty? :confused:
As you have discovered, sometimes winning the judgment is the easy part. You might try contacting one of the PA enforcers at: http://www.enforcemyjudgment.com/

Downbutnotout2

Collecting judgement

State: PA

I've seen those firms and we are considering them. But I'm skeptical -- why do they have more options than I do for collection? For example, they mention garnishment, but I was told you can only do that in criminal cases.

Last edited:

JETX

Downbutnotout2 said:
I've seen those firms and we are considering them. But I'm skeptical -- why do they have more options than I do for collection?
First, they have experience doing this.
Second, they have access to both private and public resources to locate debtor assets.
Third, they have experience doing this.
Fourth, did I mention they have experience??

For example, they mention garnishment, but I was told you can only do that in criminal cases.
See, there you go. Garnishments don't apply to criminal cases. And yes, wages are exempt from judgment seizure.... but bank garnishments are not.
BTW, did I mention that they have experience?? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">