• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting a judgment on a business entity

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mwick

What is the name of your state? Washington

A small claims writ of garnishment was filed and sent to the business being garnished (wages for employee, bad check was the reason). The business refused to pay even though the defendant was employed at the time. This was confirmed by a fax from the company. The business in question was then taken to court for non payment of the writ and a judgment was granted against the business. How do I make the business pay the judgment. They refuse to do this as well.

racer72

The easiest way would be a bank levy. Finding the account info can be a problem though. Depending on how much is owed, a siezure of assets can be used. Depending on the amount of the judgment, this may not be worthwhile, it will cost about $1000. If you are not really worried about collecting the full amount but want to make a point, hire a collection agency.

Dandy Don

Or consult a debt collections attorney who has inside knowledge about how to collect amounts due and where the business has bank accounts if you don't already have that knowledge.

JETX

How do I make the business pay the judgment. They refuse to do this as well.
Very simple. Contact the court and request a Writ of Execution. Have it served against the business. The sheriff will seize any non-exempt assets... which is pretty much everything of value, since businesses don't have exemptions. I usually go after their network server and all backups (to put them out of business), all computers, copiers, cash registers and petty cash box (including the cash), furniture, etc.
99 out of 100 debtors manage to "find the money" when they start to see their business hauled away for auction!! :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">