• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Judgment from Landlord (an LLC.)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sihara

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

Hi,

In May-June of 2011, there were major leaks and ceiling collapses (due to construction directly above my apartment) causing extensive damage to both my living and bathroom furniture. I sued in small claims (landlords denied damage) and received the full judgment in my favor. As I pay my rent on time each month, I was wondering if I would be allowed (after the 30 days of demanding) to garnish my rent the next few months until the judgement is paid in full (I would send the canceled rent check each month as a receipt of sorts)? - Thank you

TigerD

Interesting.
How much does your landlord owe you?
How much in the rent payment?
How long do you have left on your lease?

DC

sihara

I won the full $5000 + $20 for the initial small claims filing fee.
My monthly rent is $1000 and I am currently in court with them because I am rent stabilized and they tried to illegally deregulate the apartment.

Thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">