• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

collecting my money...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vbperez

What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

I won a case against my ex landlord almost two months ago. He never showed up to the trial...and I proved my case so I got my $500 security deposit back.....or so I thought.

Anyway, I still haven't received my settlement.

I spoke to court clerk and she told me I can schedule an Opra....where the judge orders him to give me all his bank information etc.

My problem is what if he doesn't show up to the Opra hearing. Would I never get my money?

What can I do then?

Can I send him to collection even though I don't have his social security number?

Please advise...

-Veronica

Last edited:

HomeGuru

vbperez said:
What is the name of your state? California

Hello,

I won a case against my ex landlord almost two months ago. He never showed up to the trial...and I proved my case so I got my $500 security deposit back.....or so I thought.

Anyway, I still haven't received my settlement.

I spoke to court clerk and she told me I can schedule an Opra....where the judge orders him to give me all his bank information etc.

My problem is what if he doesn't show up to the Opra hearing. Would I never get my money?

**A: get with the program. You need to serve him with the official court document to appear and if he doesn't show, ask the court to issue a warrant for his arrest. If you are going to be doing this without an attorney you would be best served if you learn a little legal procedure.

JETX

I suggest you visit a local library or bookstore and get a book titled something like, "How to win in Small Claims Court in California".
The last chapter or two will include how to collect on your judgment.

T

Terry7

The internet is great. Type in "how to collect a Judgment", in the search area ,and click search.

JETX

Another virtually useless post by 'Terry7'.
If you do as he/she/it suggests, you will get 'hits' on a lot of jurisdictions that you have no interest in. But since "Terry7' thinks that New York state sets the standard for the entire country, I can understand his failure to understand the relevance of jurisdiction.

T

Terry7

Jetx is refereeing to post I have made giving sound advice:

I refer original Posters to the CLERKS of the courts they are involved in. They would
know BEST,the procedures and what forms to use.
I site my STATE as an example:

Quite frankly If you step back,you will not even see in this thread where I have typed
anything about NY STATE.

Therefore,you will be wondering what this guy is talking about.
I upon reading this post would think JetX is Delusional.

But you must know,he goes from thread to thread,reading my post,and then criticizes
them. I have told him he is on ignore,but he don't get it. He still insist on finding a way to
belittle me ,even for spelling,when he makes spelling mistakes hisself like ( speling ).

He even has someone "sill liver" with someone else ?

But he must continue. That's the kind a person he is .

I do have a signature on the bottom of my post, that is sound advice.

JetX has one making derogatory remarks of a person. I think you can figure out the

JETX

"Jetx is refereeing to post I have made giving sound advice:"
*** I often feel that I have to referee your posts, just to eliminate your continuous errors. Or were you meaning 'referring'???

"I refer original Posters to the CLERKS of the courts they are involved in. They would know BEST,the procedures and what forms to use."
*** DOH!!! Clerks are NOT allowed to give legal advice, unless they are licensed attorneys. They will often assist on the general processes of filing, etc., but that is not what you are asking, is it??

"I site my STATE as an example:"
*** As an example of what?? You clearly do NOT understand that what your state (NY) does, has absolutely NO bearing on what other states do.

"Quite frankly If you step back,you will not even see in this thread where I have typed anything about NY STATE."
*** Not in this one, but you have made several erroneous posts on other threads (that the senior members have had to correct) where you told flat-out wrong 'advice' that would often have gotten them in trouble if they had followed it. You are simply a danger to others on this forum.

"Therefore,you will be wondering what this guy is talking about.
I upon reading this post would think JetX is Delusional."
*** And any 'normal' person reading these follow-up posts would realize that following any 'advice' you give would be dangerous. Simply, you have NO legal experience or knowledge.....

"But you must know,he goes from thread to thread,reading my post,and then criticizes them."
*** You clearly do not understand the difference between criticism and corrections. I am not criticising your posts.... I am continually having to attempt to undo the damage your posts are causing. HUGE difference.

"I have told him he is on ignore,but he don't get it."
*** If I am on your 'ignore', why are you still responding???

"He still insist on finding a way to
belittle me ,even for spelling,when he makes spelling mistakes hisself like ( speling )."
*** Oh, oh!! Looks like you forgot to take your meds again. Would you care to try to put that one in legible English??

"He even has someone "sill liver" with someone else ?"
*** What the hell are you talking about??

"But he must continue. That's the kind a person he is ."
*** Yep, one who has enough dedication to the integrity of this forum, that he feels a responsiblity to the writers to correct your erroneous posts whenever needed. Simply, I will stop correcting you when you make correct responses. But since you can't do that, I have to correct almost every one of them.

"I do have a signature on the bottom of my post, that is sound advice."
*** That I agree with!!

"JetX has one making derogatory remarks of a person. I think you can figure out the"
*** Guess you didn't have any more quarters to put into the computer that you use at the library and it cut out at mid-sentence. Guess we will have to wait until you can pan-handle some more quarters for this saga to continue......
:D :D :D

HomeGuru

JETX, don't encourage Terry7 as when he gets more quarters, he'll be back.
When is this person going to realize that he can't spell properly.

JETX

Though I have some concerns about this guys lack of spelling and/or grammar, I am more concerned about his blatant disregard for accuracy in his posts. Simply, if someone were to follow his offered 'advice', they are probably going to be in a worst position. And THAT shouldn't be tolerated on this forum.

T

Terry7

Now he has to come up with another excuse. Like don't fallow Terry7s' advice to contact THE COURTS CLERK for proceedures.You will be in worse shape and that shouldn't be tolerated !! : )

Here we have an Individual or two that is so bent out of shape they beleive their advice is the only advice you should fallow .

Lawyer or no lawyer.I've put some lawyers in their place before. Just because they think they know it all,they think they can treat a person like sh&*.

I have cited laws to the lawyers they didn't know.

A lawyer that treated my g/f like sh&* came real close to being turned in for improper language,he knew he better appoligize.

I have been in lidigation. I prepared and filed my own divorce that the clerks did not think they had to exept the forms( It was a packet from the State ), I have filed and prepared my Family court papers,and cited the laws my attorney didn't know. I've won a few small claims ON MY OWN.

I incouraged my mother to get a DEED back in her name when 2 lawyers said she couldn't by law. A breach of contract is just that,It voids the deal !! She got it back !!

So,you see I'm the type of Person that's fought hard to win legal battles.

You can-not prevail .

The ones that shouldn't be tolorated , are the ones that think they can bash who they want. Unfortunatly no matter what you say ,they will still be their same ingnorant selves,and a pest that won't go away.

They even think I'm the one who should leave the boards : )

They can't stand to hear the truth so think up everything they can to be dirogitory toward the ones they started on.

Oh !! and I still don't know what " Sill liver " w/ someone means !!

JETX

"Like don't fallow Terry7s' advice to contact THE COURTS CLERK for proceedures.You will be in worse shape and that shouldn't be tolerated !! : )"
*** fal·low; adj.
1. Plowed but left unseeded during a growing season: fallow farmland.
2. Characterized by inactivity: a fallow gold market.
Did you mean 'follow'???
Also, it should be the 'court clerk', or 'court clerks', not 'courts clerk'.
And it should be procedures, not 'proceedures'

"Here we have an Individual or two that is so bent out of shape they beleive their advice is the only advice you should fallow ."
*** Here is that 'fallow' again. Seems proof to me that you are an illiterate oaf.... and not just a poor speller.
Oh, and "Individual" is not capitalized since it isn't a pronoun.
And it should be 'believe'.

"Lawyer or no lawyer.I've put some lawyers in their place before."
*** Yeh, and I can guess what 'place' you put them!!! :)

"Just because they think they know it all,they think they can treat a person like sh&*."
*** Nope, but you are such a dolt that you allow yourself to be corrected over and over and over.....

"I have cited laws to the lawyers they didn't know."
*** How about you providing ANY link to an actual legal citation that you have given on this forum??? Come on.... you can do it, can't you??

"A lawyer that treated my g/f like sh&* came real close to being turned in for improper language,he knew he better appoligize."
*** Damn, you are truly laughable. And he probably treated her like that when he asked for change for the $1.00 bill he gave for 'services rendered'!!

"I have been in lidigation."
*** Where the hell is 'lidigation' and how did you get there (or out of there)?? Or do you mean LITIGATION??
If you do, I can imagine you have seen LOTS of litigation in your feeble little life.

"I prepared and filed my own divorce that the clerks did not think they had to exept the forms( It was a packet from the State )"
*** Wow!!!! So you can actually fill out provided forms and everything!!! Truly a wonderful example of your legal prowess!! And I will be the 'courts clerk' had a real laugh trying to read through all the spelling and grammar errors, huh??

"I have filed and prepared my Family court papers,and cited the laws my attorney didn't know. I've won a few small claims ON MY OWN."
*** Wow!! I really didn't realize we had another Clarence Darrow here on the forum. Do you mean you actually managed to find your way all the way to the big courthouse.... on your own?? Or was your mommy with you???

"I incouraged my mother to get a DEED back in her name when 2 lawyers said she couldn't by law."
*** Do you mean 'encouraged'?? And since we have NO idea if any of this is true.....

"A breach of contract is just that,It voids the deal !! She got it back !!"
*** Sorry, but you are wrong on that one also. A breach of contract does NOT 'void the deal'.

"So,you see I'm the type of Person that's fought hard to win legal battles."
*** Yea, I hear those 'legal battles' when sharing the cell with old Leroy can be pretty harrowing..... huh??

"You can-not prevail ."
*** It's the Eye of the Tiger,
It's the thrill of the fight,
Rising up to the challenge of our rival,
And the last known survivor
Stalks his prey in the night,
And he's watching us all
With the Eye of the Tiger

"The ones that shouldn't be tolorated , are the ones that think they can bash who they want. Unfortunatly no matter what you say ,they will still be their same ingnorant selves,and a pest that won't go away."
*** What is 'tolorated'?? Do you mean TOLERATED?? And, I really don't see how this is bashing. You simply are a moron with NO legal experience.... and wasting everyones time time trying to:
1) understand what you are trying to say, and
2) having to correct your continuous 'legal advice' mistakes.

"They even think I'm the one who should leave the boards : )
*** Again, wrong. I have said before, that if you can provide legally accurate responses (even a few spelling errors would be tolerated), but NO.... you are simply beyond understanding.... and tolerance.

"They can't stand to hear the truth so think up everything they can to be dirogitory toward the ones they started on."
*** What is 'dirogitory'?? Do you mean derogatory??? Do you even know what DICTIONARY means??? And please, please enlighten us... provide ONE accurate legal statement you have made on this forum. Come on.... we are still waiting....

"Oh !! and I still don't know what " Sill liver " w/ someone means !!"
*** I don't either. Are you referring to a simply TYPO in one of my earlier threads..... or is this just some more 'excerpts from an empty mind'??

Damn, this is too much fun!!! I would challenge 'Terry7' to a battle of wits, but it is obvious that he is unarmed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">