• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting on the SC debt...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wysguyinak

What is the name of your state? Alaska

Hi and thanks in advance. I've recently filed a small claims action and suspect I will prevail. In researching court records the defendant has a history of default judgments against him. Even if he contests, I’m confident of success based on the merits of case. I estimate the judgment to be near $8,000.00 when all is said and done. This guy’s been around the block and it appears he recently liquidated his real properties. All four seem to have been sold in the last year. He’s a slippery fish. Here are my questions:

Can I go after property, real property or vehicles in his wife’s name?

How do I attach wages if he’s self employed?

I suspect patience will be the name of the game, any other words of wisdom?

Thanks.What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state?

seniorjudge

Visit a bookstore and see if there are books on collecting judgments in your state.

Most small claims judgments go uncollected since it is so hard to do.

If the guy has any assets, you may want to consider selling the judgment to a collection agency.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">