• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting Small Claims - CALIFORNIA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BoBoonies

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I successfully sued a party in CA in March. The party didn't appear on the appointed court date but I still had to prove my case, which I did. I'm disabled and it caused hardship to go through the court process but it was a significant amount of money that I wasn't willing to forfeit. The court notified the party that they lost the case, and ordered them to pay me. I followed up with a certified letter reiterating the address, amount, and a reminder of the 21 days, etc. Never heard back from them. It is unclear now what avenues are available to collect the debt. If it involves going to the courthouse again, unfortunately my condition has taken a turn for the worse and traveling to and fro is impossible at this point in time.

A few questions: 1. What is the FASTEST and EASIEST route to collect this debt?

2. Should I pass away before the debt is satisfied, does the party still have to pay my estate?

3. If the party still owes after I'm dead, who can collect the debt?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">