• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting on a small claims judgement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

brintonr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I filed a small claims case against someone who owed me money and I won. This was 2 years ago and I am still having no luck collecting the $3000 he owes me. Wage garnishment has been difficult to pursue due to the individual changing jobs frequently. Is there anything else I can do to get my settlement?

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

I filed a small claims case against someone who owed me money and I won. This was 2 years ago and I am still having no luck collecting the $3000 he owes me. Wage garnishment has been difficult to pursue due to the individual changing jobs frequently. Is there anything else I can do to get my settlement?
Did you do a Debtor's Exam to determine what the debtor's assets are? If not, you may still be able to do this.

Usual methods of collection include garnishment, levy against bank accounts, seizure of assets (sold to satisfy the debt), liens against real property and vehicles.

Keep in mind that just getting the judgment is the easy part. The majority of judgments are never collected due to dodgy debtors or creditors who are unaware of how to collect using the legal collection methods. Either that, or it just gets too expensive or complicated to collect the debt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">