+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    calerands is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7

    Collecting on a Small Claims Judgment

    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

    I am co-owner of a Florida LLC and have default judgment for about $1,500.00 against a small Florida Corporation.

    How can I collect without hiring an attorney? The corporation owns no property, but there is a bank account that I can garnish. How do i file for a garnishment against their checking account?
  2. #2
    erikill is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by calerands View Post
    What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

    I am co-owner of a Florida LLC and have default judgment for about $1,500.00 against a small Florida Corporation.

    How can I collect without hiring an attorney? The corporation owns no property, but there is a bank account that I can garnish. How do i file for a garnishment against their checking account?
    What county is the corporation in? You want to take the original judgement to the county that the bank is in and request a regular garnishment. You don't need to know the bank account number, just what bank.
  3. #3
    calerands is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks! This is in Bay County and I have already had the judgment recorded. The folks who work in the civil section aren't very helpful, but if I just go to them and request the garnishment you think they will help me from that point?
  4. #4
    erikill is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by calerands View Post
    Thanks! This is in Bay County and I have already had the judgment recorded. The folks who work in the civil section aren't very helpful, but if I just go to them and request the garnishment you think they will help me from that point?
    Right - just bring your copy of the original judgment and request the regular garnishment.
  5. #5
    racer72 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    14,132
    To correct some misinformation you received. You want what is called a writ of garnishment. You will also need the company's bank account information, just knowing the bank is not enough. The bank has no legal obligation to provide you with that information. That info will have to be on the writ of garnishment.
    If you feel my answer is rude, mean, snarky or in anyway not to your liking, I did my job. You don't need to tell me.

    No private messages, I do not reply to them.
  6. #6
    EbayBob is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    61
    Hopefully asking a general follow-up question relating to this post is appropriate......

    If a Writ of Garnishment is filed, wont the company get notified as part of the filing process and have plenty of time to close out the account(probably not likely since its a corporation, but possible) to avoid it being garnished?
  7. #7
    Gail in Georgia is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,771
    The garnishee (i.e., the bank) is notified before the defendant and freezes the account.

    Gail
  8. #8
    calerands is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for the info from all!
  9. #9
    calerands is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7
    One more thing....the corporation I sued is actually a real estate broker. The bank account information that I have for them is for the escrow account that they issed checks to me from when I was doing business with them. Would there be any technical/legal reason that I can't garnish a real estate broker's escrow account?
  10. #10
    dcatz is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,409
    Would there be any technical/legal reason that I can't garnish a real estate broker's escrow account?

    A good reason: the money belongs to third-parties and all are likely to assert superior claims. Itís not likely to be profitable, but you will be busy.
  11. #11
    calerands is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    7
    Thanks, I'll do more research to see if I can find their regular bank account. I'm open to other suggestions also!
  12. #12
    erikill is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    GA
    Posts
    33
    Quote Originally Posted by racer72 View Post
    To correct some misinformation you received. You want what is called a writ of garnishment. You will also need the company's bank account information, just knowing the bank is not enough. The bank has no legal obligation to provide you with that information. That info will have to be on the writ of garnishment.
    I did not check on FL, but in GA you do not need the bank account information, just where they bank. I've seen it occur as well in FL with a friend who knew the bank, not the bank account number. It may be a county by county thing but either way if you have the actual account information that will always make it easier (but it can be tricky to get the bank account info sometimes).
    Last edited by erikill; 10-16-2008 at 11:08 AM.

Similar Threads

  1. Small problem collecting a judgment.
    By deusdigit in forum Small Claims Courts
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-04-2010, 01:41 AM
  2. collecting a sm. claims judgment
    By rb2009 in forum Buying & Selling a Home
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2009, 02:03 PM
  3. Collecting on a Small Claims judgment...
    By Strawfoot in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 11:58 AM
  4. Collecting Small Claim Default Judgment against business
    By Rayland in forum Debt Collections
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-25-2007, 06:48 PM
  5. calif/collecting small claims judgment from chapter 7 filer
    By cdzhaha in forum Small Claims Courts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-06-2001, 10:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.