• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collecting on Small Claims/Libel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ChrisMichaels30

California

I recently won a $3,000 judgment against someone in small claims court. The person did not show up to court and did not appeal the decision within 30 days. I sent him a letter and an email with the judgment and requesting payment. I know he won’t pay, so what do I do in order to make him pay. The court has forms to fill out, but I don’t think that will be enough.

1. Are there any other ways to obtain this money? How can I report it to the credit bureau to ding his score? What other suggestions have worked for clients in the past?
2. Is it illegal (libel) if an email was sent out to all of the people in association with him (he is involved in politics), stating all true facts such as he lost a small claims court case and refuses to pay?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
California

I recently won a $3,000 judgment against someone in small claims court. The person did not show up to court and did not appeal the decision within 30 days. I sent him a letter and an email with the judgment and requesting payment. I know he won’t pay, so what do I do in order to make him pay. The court has forms to fill out, but I don’t think that will be enough.

1. Are there any other ways to obtain this money? How can I report it to the credit bureau to ding his score? What other suggestions have worked for clients in the past?
2. Is it illegal (libel) if an email was sent out to all of the people in association with him (he is involved in politics), stating all true facts such as he lost a small claims court case and refuses to pay?
I would suggest that you look at purchasing the following book: http://www.nolo.com/products/everybodys-guide-to-small-claims-court-in-california-CSCC.html

(I am not associated what-so-ever with Nolo Press - I just like their products).

As for your second question, I would suggest that you NOT do that.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">