• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Collection after judgement......next step

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vleespet1

Georgia

My question involves judgment recovery

1. I went to small claims court, magistrate court here in GA and won my case in April 2012. Small amount under $2000.
2. Defendant appealed to State Court. He never paid courtfees.
3. After several letters to the Judge his appeal got dismissed and I received dismissal.
4. I went ahead and filed a Writ of Fieri Facias, also known as "Fi Fa".
5. I wrote him a demand letter that he still owed the money from judgment and attached a payment agreement form for him to sign. He received letter by certified mail last Saturday.

This was the last step and I am pretty sure he will not reply or sign the payment agreement. I am not sure what to do next with the "Fi Fa".

- He has several (older)vehicles with not too much value and I can use the "Fi Fa" to put a lien on the vehicle title(s).
- He is a handymen and works for himself but no business. I guess some type of garnishment is out of the question?
- I can file "Post Judgement Interrogatories" so we can see his assets. I know he has some valuables in the house and several cars but he might put the car(s) in somebody else's name after I file this?

Are there any other actions I can try to do before these? I know the amount is small but I am not going to walk away and do nothing as some people suggested. To be honest it is also interesting on how this justice system works in the USA.

Any advice would be kindly appreciated by all.

Thanks

R

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">