• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Closed Down

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SCCproblem

State: Georgia

In 2007 I enrolled in a college call Southern Catholic College. The college had a very nice appearance e and the staff seemed very content. I along with the rest of the students and parents were promised the school would be receiving its accreditation when the first class graduated. Myself and around 70 or so other students enrolled with this promise in mind. We were only the third class. Being a private college it was very expensive, the first year I received many scholarship directly from the school, I only had to take out a loan for $2500. Because the school was not federally funded yet the loan was through the school. The next year the same promise was made to the new freshman, and their parents that the school would have accreditation by the end of that school year. By now the school was able to obtain federal funding and this year the school had taken away many of my scholarships. They also had raised some prices of the room and board. I was then forced to take out federal loans totaling over $16000, including mine and my parents. Later we find out that the school becoming accredited was not the case, when the first class graduated the school would be able to "begin the accreditation process". They had changed what we were told. By the end of my 2nd year I could not afford to take on any more debt and because of the school still not being accredited I couldn't apply for any loans or transfer to another school without losing any of my credits. During that time I was able to earn over 40 credits in the 2 years I was enrolled in the school. So I had to leave and joined the military, with the plan of finishing college when my credits could transfer. 8 months after I left this letter was sent out to all of the students of college VIA email, while they were on spring break.

Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:31 AM
To: All Faculty; All Staff; All Students
Subject: Urgent update about Southern Catholic College
Importance: High

I pray that you had a fruitful Holy Week and a very blessed Easter! Each of you has been in my prayers and sacrifices in an even more particular way during this time.

On Wednesday of Holy Week, March 31, Fr. Brian Higgins visited a benefactor to solicit financial help that would ensure the financial viability of Southern Catholic. I am extremely grateful to him for his effort –as I am grateful to the benefactor for even considering our petition for support. Unfortunately, it was not to be. This has proven to be the last in a series of efforts to procure financing that would allow us to at least complete the semester on May 13.

I deeply regret that I must inform you that, as of Thursday, April 15, Southern Catholic will close its doors for the semester. It pains me to even write this phrase. It also doubly distresses me that, not only must I communicate this difficult news; I am prevented from communicating it in person. The timing of the request of the benefactor on March 31 coupled with Spring Break has forced me to draft this note as opposed to telling you in person. Please forgive me for this.

There will be a general assembly for Faculty, Staff and Students on Monday, April 12, at 10AM. This way I can field the questions you will certainly have. We will also provide detailed information for Faculty, Staff and Students relevant to each group regarding specifics such as transcripts, grades, graduation, COBRA, unemployment, etc… All of this information will be provided on April 12.

For all students:
• NPEC has confirmed that our students will receive full credit for the entire semester even though we are required to close our doors on April 15.
• Students may stay on campus from April 11-15, in order to say goodbye to fellow students, collect your belongings, request pertinent information from Academic Affairs, Financial Affairs, and check-in and out with Student Affairs.

Words cannot express how profoundly sorrowful I am at this situation. Yet I also know that Our Lord has proven himself stronger than death and therefore stronger than our pain, weaknesses and circumstances. We must continually turn to him for strength.

As always, my door is open for those who wish to speak with me. Please know that my prayers are constantly with all of you. Please pray for me.

Yours in Christ,

Fr. Shawn Aaron, LC
President

In the letter he states that everyone will receive "full credit" but they do not have accreditation. All of the numbers have been disconnected and the management company of the loan I got through the school tells me that they still deposit the money into an account. All the phone numbers they have on file are all disconnected, this loan I only owe about $2000 on its the $16,000 federal student loan that I want to figure out what to do. Do I have a case for a law suit?
Signed,
Julian Saviano

Last edited:

Hot Topic

It was incredibly dumb of you to invest your time and money in a school that you knew was not accredited.

You can try sueing.

Why did you intentionally delete the request for the name of your state?

Last edited:
If you counted the times that people called others dumb, or other offensive, rude, insulting, and childish names on this site for "OUTSTANDING ADVICE," you'd have a number higher than that of the cases any actual lawyer who posts here has ever won. Good luck, SCC, I genuinely hope someone gives you helpful advice and you get this issue resolved.

davidmcbeth3

as far as getting $$ back; the school closed for lack of $$$...if you wish to go to small claims you can try that & get a judgment. Looks like the school is in its last attempts to get $$ to open but I would not count on it. But you left to join the army....so I dont think you have a case really. And can you actually handle the case while in the service? I would not think so...move on soldier, pay you 2.5K loan back & save for college when you get out of the army...

SCCproblem

I would like to also add that one of members of the board is the retired President of UPS, this board consists of 20+members, all of which have money. I'm really looking to get my student loans taken care of because my credits are virtually invalid, I have tried to get the Air Force to cover my student loans but there is some problem, with the school being un-accredited.... If I buy a car on a loan and I am lied to (and I can prove it) I have legitimate reason to take the seller to court, how is the any different?

Proserpina

I would like to also add that one of members of the board is the retired President of UPS, this board consists of 20+members, all of which have money. I'm really looking to get my student loans taken care of because my credits are virtually invalid, I have tried to get the Air Force to cover my student loans but there is some problem, with the school being un-accredited.... If I buy a car on a loan and I am lied to (and I can prove it) I have legitimate reason to take the seller to court, how is the any different?

But you knew the school wasn't accredited.

Caveat Emptor, you know?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There are no sure things in life except death and taxes. Until it actually *is* accredited, you have to assume that the *non*accredited status is the permanent one.

Y'know?

Proserpina

There are no sure things in life except death and taxes. Until it actually *is* accredited, you have to assume that the *non*accredited status is the permanent one.

Y'know?

And perhaps further, make sure in future that the school is regionally accredited.

(My #1 has enrolled - despite our misgivings - in a nationally accredited online school....and it turns out that she would only be able to transfer about a quarter of her credits should she wish to switch to a "regular" school. Sigh)

(Oh - and the degree she's going for? Not exactly well-received by major employers and grad schools...)

Be very careful when choosing for-profit schools.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">