• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College Counselor--Bad Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

seniorincollege

I go to a tier 1 University in California. Two months ago I sought advice of whether or not I could withdraw from two of my three college courses. I knew that I had several units to transfer from a local community college, but I wanted verification that I would still be able to graduate on time. I set up an appointment with my college counselor and she told me that it would be OK to withdraw from the two classes which is what she did. I disclosed to her that I had classes to transfer in from a local community college into our University she responded that's fine and she withdrew me from those courses. I asked her if she needed to see what classes I took at the community college and she responded no and went on to say if it's a college class it will transfer in for credit.

I call my school's registrar's office yesterday and they said my local community college classes are not going to transfer!!!!

I'm now in a situation where I have family flying in from across the country to come see me graduate in 14 days! I think I will be able to walk(although not 100% sure) but I won't graduate and will have to take an ADDITIONAL quarter of classes ($2500 tuition + $500 Books + $3000 Room and Board, and not being able to work $xx,xxx or lost wages)

What can I sue for, if at all, and do I sue the counselor or the University?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

sandyclaus

Advice doesn't have to be followed

I go to a tier 1 University in California. Two months ago I sought advice of whether or not I could withdraw from two of my three college courses. I knew that I had several units to transfer from a local community college, but I wanted verification that I would still be able to graduate on time. I set up an appointment with my college counselor and she told me that it would be OK to withdraw from the two classes which is what she did. I disclosed to her that I had classes to transfer in from a local community college into our University she responded that's fine and she withdrew me from those courses. I asked her if she needed to see what classes I took at the community college and she responded no and went on to say if it's a college class it will transfer in for credit.

I call my school's registrar's office yesterday and they said my local community college classes are not going to transfer!!!!

I'm now in a situation where I have family flying in from across the country to come see me graduate in 14 days! I think I will be able to walk(although not 100% sure) but I won't graduate and will have to take an ADDITIONAL quarter of classes ($2500 tuition + $500 Books + $3000 Room and Board, and not being able to work $xx,xxx or lost wages)

What can I sue for, if at all, and do I sue the counselor or the University?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA
Sounds like you didn't do your homework (pardon the pun) and you want to blame the college counselor for your mistake.

If I understand you correctly, the community college courses were supposed to cover the credits for the 2 classes you dropped? News flash: not all community college courses are transferable. You should have inquired further to make sure that the credits for these classes you took would be transferable before asking if you could drop the other classes you were already enrolled in.

You asked if you could drop the classes, not if the classes you had already taken would provide the transferable credits you needed. The counselor advised you based on the limited information you provided. Clearly you had concerns, but if graduating was so critical, I would have dotted the i's and crossed the t's before proceeding.

CourtClerk

How long had you been at the university that you are JUST NOW inquiring about transferring units from the CC? Why wasn't that done when you transferred to the university?

tranquility

While I love for people to be responsible and take care of themselves, it seems to me that talking to a college counseler regarding college credits and then relying on their advice seems a reasonable thing to me. I don't know the case law on things like this, but the law seems geared to reasonable.

Who is the better expert to ask? I mean really, what is the OP supposed to do? Counselor says X, guy reads and says Y, what would a reasonable person believe the answer to be?

Again, I don't have a case cite and I'm not saying for sure. But, it just seems like there may be something here. Maybe the facts don't warrant it. Maybe the questions were not precise enough. I just don't know. I think a consultation with an attorney is appropriate.

Antigone*

While I love for people to be responsible and take care of themselves, it seems to me that talking to a college counseler regarding college credits and then relying on their advice seems a reasonable thing to me. I don't know the case law on things like this, but the law seems geared to reasonable.

Who is the better expert to ask? I mean really, what is the OP supposed to do? Counselor says X, guy reads and says Y, what would a reasonable person believe the answer to be?

Again, I don't have a case cite and I'm not saying for sure. But, it just seems like there may be something here. Maybe the facts don't warrant it. Maybe the questions were not precise enough. I just don't know. I think a consultation with an attorney is appropriate.
I agree with Tranquility on this issue. The OP should consult with an attorney. Small claims certainly is not the appropriate court, however.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">