• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College student seeking advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rpoll

I am a student at a small private college in Wisconsin and I had plans to graduate in December. Recently, I was made aware that my college made the decision to no longer offer one of two courses in the Fall semester which I need to graduate. Since, the course will only be offered in the Spring now, I will have to hold off my graduation until May and take the one course I need as a part time student. Taking the course in the Spring will cost me an extra $1,800. I was looking for advice as to if I would I have a claim in a small claims court against my school for delaying my graduation and socking me with an extra $1,800 bill?

Antigone*

I am a student at a small private college in Wisconsin and I had plans to graduate in December. Recently, I was made aware that my college made the decision to no longer offer one of two courses in the Fall semester which I need to graduate. Since, the course will only be offered in the Spring now, I will have to hold off my graduation until May and take the one course I need as a part time student. Taking the course in the Spring will cost me an extra $1,800. I was looking for advice as to if I would I have a claim in a small claims court against my school for delaying my graduation and socking me with an extra $1,800 bill?
Not at all. There is not requirement they must offer all courses in all sessions.

st-kitts

Rather than thinking "sue, sue, sue", why don't you think "ask, ask, ask?" Sometimes a University will allow a student to take a course more or less independent study, doing all the work under the indirect supervision of a professor qualified to teach the course. If this is not a lab class, go to the Dean of the department and see if you can do something like this.

RRevak

Why dont you see if the class you need to graduate is offered at a local community college? If it is, then take it at the community college as a transient student and have the credits transferred to your main university. As long as its the same course ID, most university's will allow this. Not only is it cheaper but it allows you to graduate on time without having the hassle of taking your university to court (which is an argument you wouldnt win anyway).

Last edited:

rpoll

This last course that I need to take is the cap course of my degree and can only be taken with this particular college. Although in prior years this course was offered as an independent study, this is no longer available to students. In other words, I, along with a handful of other students will not be able to receive a diploma without completing this course only offered in the spring. Not only will I be unable to graduate until May, I will no longer be qualified to have health insurance under my parents; since it requires me to be a full time student.

st-kitts

That is too bad. This is the school of hard knocks.

You may be able to purchase affordable (minimal) health coverage through your college. Maybe your college career center can assist you in your search for a local internship or part time job in your field of study.

I concur with the other poster - filing in small claims court will be a fruitless pursuit as you have no legal standing for a suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">