• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Company is not paying money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

user321

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hi,

I do software consulting and I'm in Massachusetts area. I did some work for an out of state company that is in Texas. They paid some amount but did not pay the rest. So, they still owe couple of thousand dollars. They accepted to pay at one point of time, now they are denying. It’s been couple of months. If I hire a lawyer, it won't be cost effective for this much money. I thought about small claims court but since it’s an out of state entity, I believe I need to file in their state which again won't be cost effective either for this amount of money since I’ll have to travel over there when the court gives date.
Can someone suggest what my options at this point of time are? I have all the proof through email correspondence that they owe me money.

Thanks

Last edited:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Hi,

I do software consulting and I'm in Massachusetts area. I did some work for an out of state company that is in Texas. They paid some amount but did not pay the rest. So, they still owe couple of thousand dollars. They accepted to pay at one point of time, now they are denying. It’s been couple of months. If I hire a lawyer, it won't be cost effective for this much money. I thought about small claims court but since it’s an out of state entity, I believe I need to file in their state which again won't be cost effective either for this amount of money since I’ll have to travel over there when the court gives date.
Can someone suggest what my options at this point of time are? I have all the proof through email correspondence that they owe me money.

Thanks
IF they aren't paying voluntarily, your only choice is to enforce the contract by suing them and seeking a judgment.

Since the company is located in Texas, you would have little choice but to sue in that jurisdiction.

The GOOD news is that Texas Small Claims Court does allow attorney representation in court. If your contract provides for the losing party in a suit to pay attorney costs and fees, then you could feasibly gain that money back if you win the suit. You could hire a local lawyer in Texas to represent you and fight the case for you, but you MIGHT have to appear as a witness to give your side of the story.

However, it all comes down to what this is worth to you. It will likely cost you far more than the couple of thousand you owe to pursue this, and even this, you would still have to collect from the company once a judgment is issued.

That's it in a nutshell. The ball is in your court now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">