• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

A complete corporate moron is sueing me for $400

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dumpsterfire

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

An extremely stubborn garbage company is taking me to court over a dumpster fire that happened when I wasn't home.
1. Friday - I called a garbage company and paid them w/ a credit card over the phone to bring me a dumpster.
2. Saturday - I filled it up with trash.
3. Sunday - I left the house at 7:00P.M.
4. My neighbor was outside(within about 30 feet of the dumpster, which was on a public road) around 11:00 P.M. - No sign of a fire.
5. Midnight - My neighbor called the fire department because the dumpster was on fire.
6. The dumpster company picked up the dumpster and called me saying they were charging me for fire damage. I asked them if they had insurance and they said they didn't feel that their insurance should go up because their dumpster caught on fire on someone elses site. They think that I caused the fire because there is no evidence showing that I didn't cause the fire. I never signed an agreement or anything saying that I would assume responsibility for it.
I have argued with them several times, now they have decided to take me to small claims court.

Here's my analogy:
If I did some work for you(my service), and left my truck(my equipment) on the road in front of your house and it mysteriously caught on fire, would I send you a bill for the fire, or would I report it to my insurance?

I paid them to haul away garbage(their service), so they left their equipment(a dumpster) on the road in front of my house overnight and it mysteriously caught on fire.
I wasn't there, and I have an alibi. There's no way I could have started the fire.

Please see my original post for more details.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?p=1066160#post1066160

Thoughts?
I don't think that they have a chance in hell at winning, but maybe there's some loophole I don't know about?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">