• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

condo issues and advice is needed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JusticeNewbie

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

1. I bought a two family house with a friend. (preditable future, we're no longer friends) We converted the two family into a condo. I took the first floor(Unit 1) and she took the second floor plus attic (Unit 2). When the conversion was done, the lawyer sent us his receipt. In his receipt, he had an item that said something like, "attic provision for unit 2." Unit 1 wants Unit 2 to pay back for that provision. It's a provision that does not protect Unit 1 and did not agree to pay. Unit 2 argues that there are other provisions in the condo doc that soley benefits Unit 1. (ie. pets, porches, common garage) Unit 1 argues, it does not soley benefit Unit 1 because they are common items and before they were placed into the condo docs, it was agreed upon both sides. What's the likelihood of Unit 1 to get money back for the attic provision?

2. Both units agreed to fix the sewer pipe in the basement that was leaking. Plumber came in replaced the sewer pipe and added a vent for Unit 2's washing machine. Unit 1 noticed the vent and asked Plumber for the cost of the vent. Plumber said $100. Unit 1 asked Unit 2 to pay for the vent. Unit 2 refuses because they didn't ask for it. Unit 2 calls plumber, plumber tells Unit 2 it's free. Unit 1 is disappointed because plumbers do not give out free stuff. The parts must be coming from someone. Unit 1 has to take it as free and it's free for all since both units are paying for it. The vent has no use for Unit 1 and it would be fair that Unit 2 can't use it as well. Unit 2 ignores it and continues to use. Since it's a common item, if there's no solution to it, shouldn't it be untouched? What are my rights?

3. This is the last issue. I promise. Unit 2 owes Unit 1 money. Unit 1 asks Unit 2 to pay back. Unit 2 deducts money out of the money owed for a water bill they paid in the beginning of July without asking and telling Unit 1 that they've received the water bill until the end of July. Unit 1 moved in at April and the bill was for March-June. Unit 1 agrees to pay April-June if Unit 2 pays the full amount of what they owe. Unit 2 refuses to pay the full amount. What's the likelihood of me getting my money back in court?

Thanks for your advice and help. I greatly appreciate it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">