• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

confused about my credit card debt trial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ricsi007

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? State is Illinois

Im new to site and was hoping to get some advice on what happened to me at my trial or what can or should I do if anything at this point. I'm going to skip to my trial which was today and which was a very confusing event. I represented myself from start and filed all paperwork and motions and so i get to my trial date and time. Im confident im going to win after all my preparation and i walk into court 9:10am on my 9:30 court time. Talk to cleark to let them know that im here and ready for trial. Cleark tells me that the plaintiff's attorney was just here and dismissed the case. Well that is perfectly fine but I want to make sure that my case is dismissed with prejudice since the plaintiff has 0% chance of winning or proving that im liable in anyway. So cleark tells me to run after the attorney who she described to me and bet the order she was handed, I follow and find the persone described to me but the attorney tells me that she got nothing to do with my case. I go back to court and tell the cleark that I was unable to find the attorney and I'm going to wait my turn in courn front of the judge to find out what is going on. 10:45 am comes by and other then the two people front of the judge I'm the only one in the room. Cleark asks me what im waiting for so I tell them my case # and cleark tells me that my case is over and it was dismissed. So im kinda stunned since I been sitting in the courtroom for 1h 45min at this point and the cleark tells me that my case was called by her and the attorney and it was dismissed without prejudice. So I tell the cleark that I was in courth the entire time and my case was never called. Cleark totaly goes off on me telling me that im accusing her of lying, which i was not I was simply telling here what happened and about my conversation with here before the start of trial. The cleark keep going off on me that im accusing her of lying, this is when this joke of a rent a cop dude there for decoration during court comes behind me and tells me to shot up or he is going to drag me out of court. So i get thrown out of my own trial without ever having a chance to represent my self, never got a court order or know what is the outcome of the trial truely is.
Confused as hack I went to the free legal advice office in court house, where after telling them my story and the help picking her jaw up the floor after explaining my situation I was given the advice to go back to the courthouse in about 2 weeks and get a copy of the court order from the case because that is how long it take them to get the order ready or something like that.
I was hoping to get some help on what my options are getting this case dimissed with prejudice, and how come I was never given a right to represent myself in court, furthermore i was told to leave. I was hoping to talk to the judge and get some explanation on what happened but I was told to leave and they refused to speak to me.
ty for your time reading this and any advice you can give, please dont mind misspells english is not my first language
Richard

justalayman

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there is nothing wrong with what happened. It sounds like you are lucky you didn't end up in jail.

The plaintiff can dismiss their case anytime they wish. Once you case is dismissed, there is nothing for the court to hear. There was no reason to stay in court because, as you saw, there is no reason for the judge to hear you because there is no lawsuit to hear.

You will not generally get a dismissed with prejudice unless there have been multiple filings or there is something unique about the case. It is typically a right of all plaintiffs to refile their case.

t
, never got a court order or know what is the outcome of the trial truely is.
there was no trial. You do know the outcome of the case; it was dismissed.

tranquility

I agree with Justalayman. I suspect this was a junk debt buyer who was trying to get a default judgment and, when you showed, he dismissed the case so he can sell it to someone else.

OHRoadwarrior

Justalayman laid it out for you correctly. They are permitted to drop the case, without it being heard and can choose to refile. The court would not have tolerated such impertinence from a lawyer. You are lucky you did not get a contempt citation or arrested.

ricsi007

I guess, I was just confused about not even having a chance to defend myself, from all my research it seemed that most people got at least to the trial in cases like mine and it was dismissed or such after defendant had at least some king of interaction with the judge. But thank you very much for your fast and clear response. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I guess, I was just confused about not even having a chance to defend myself, from all my research it seemed that most people got at least to the trial in cases like mine and it was dismissed or such after defendant had at least some king of interaction with the judge. But thank you very much for your fast and clear response. :)
There was nothing to defend yourself against.

One word of advice for the future: The court workers can be your best friends or your worst enemies...and they have memories like elephants. I would suggest that the next time you see them, you act very contrite and respectful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">