• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is contract binding?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sm2828

What is the name of your state? Illinois

My ex-mother in law sent to my old address (where my sister now lives) a demand letter to collect money on a contract that my ex-husband and I signed with her when living in California. The hand-written contract stated that my ex-husband and I would pay her back $16,000 for our wedding - the terms were $100 per month. In her letter, she told me that my ex-husband has been paying her $100 a month, but that she wants me to start paying her for half the total amount or $8,000. This contract was signed 3 years ago, and I stopped paying her when I left my abusive husband a year and a half ago. I understand that I have breached my contract with her. Please let me know what I can do to get out of this situation. There was nothing in our divorce that referenced this "loan". My thoughts are that she can't divide the amount owed between the two of us because that is outside of the original agreement. WE agreed to pay her. Please provide any thoughts or ideas of how I should proceed. Can I ask for a copy of the contract and documents showing that my ex-husband has been paying her? Thank you.

racer72

If your ex is paying the $100 a month per the contract, tell her to go pack sand where the sun don't shine, the contract obligations are being met.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">