• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

contract and other question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

diozakaerf

New York
I have a signed contract with my gf stating i owe her $1000 from a previous transaction. She has a sheet of paper without my name on it, showing what my share of what we buy weekly is, if i move out, am i legally bound to that sheet of paper and have to pay the amounts on it?

Just Blue

New York
I have a signed contract with my gf stating i owe her $1000 from a previous transaction. She has a sheet of paper without my name on it, showing what my share of what we buy weekly is, if i move out, am i legally bound to that sheet of paper and have to pay the amounts on it?
Is the
signed contract
and the
sheet of paper without my name on it, showing what my share of what we buy weekly is,
one and the same? If so why do you want to slime your way out of it?????

diozakaerf

clarification

The signed piece of paper is from an earlier transaction that she helped me with so i have no qualms about repaying that. Im not trying "slime" my way out of anything, my question pertains to if her and I had a really bad break up, would i be legally obligated to pay her money for things on that sheet, like electric and cable, when all that appears on it is the amount and dates, none of my personal info is on it anywhere.

sandyclaus

New York
If, indeed, the two sheets are different, then:
The signed contract is an agreement to pay $1,000. Unless it specifies that the amount is conditional, or changeable in any way, then you owe $1,000 - nothing more.
The second sheet may well be your girlfriend's accounting of where the $1,000 comes from.

Are you trying to say she is demanding money in excess of the $1,000 on the contract, and using that other piece of paper as a basis for the demand?

Just Blue

The signed piece of paper is from an earlier transaction that she helped me with so i have no qualms about repaying that. Im not trying "slime" my way out of anything, my question pertains to if her and I had a really bad break up, would i be legally obligated to pay her money for things on that sheet, like electric and cable, when all that appears on it is the amount and dates, none of my personal info is on it anywhere.
Yeah. You are. Perhaps an attorney can assist you with this matter. Have a nice day.

diozakaerf

ok

the contract for $1000 was from a year or two ago. We live together. Each time a bill or if we go shopping, half is split and put on this seperate sheet to show what my part is. Then when i get paid, my paycheck goes to that list. It does not have my name on it anywhere and anyone who didnt know better would think she's working out a budget from the way they look. If I leave for good, can she take legal action for the other sheet? Or am i not legally bined to pay that if i leave? Just as a heads up, if i left, she would probably sue for that money. Im curious if she would have a case

Silverplum

the contract for $1000 was from a year or two ago. We live together. Each time a bill or if we go shopping, half is split and put on this seperate sheet to show what my part is. Then when i get paid, my paycheck goes to that list. It does not have my name on it anywhere and anyone who didnt know better would think she's working out a budget from the way they look. If I leave for good, can she take legal action for the other sheet? Or am i not legally bined to pay that if i leave? Just as a heads up, if i left, she would probably sue for that money. Im curious if she would have a case
Your girlfriend sounds like a (money-grubbing) peach. :rolleyes:

You're only bound to pay cable bills that have your name on them. Same with other utilities. Same with a lease.

tranquility

New York
You don't have a "contract" for $1,000 (What is the consideration?), but you may have a promissory note. Because it may or may not be an "instrument" (hence negotiable), I'm not even sure on that. I have a sheet of paper saying you owe me $1 million dollars. The paper is worthless. What it represents may or may not be worthless--depending on the underlying facts.

diozakaerf

You're only bound to pay cable bills that have your name on them. Same with other utilities. Same with a lease.

Nothing has my name on it. Not the bills, mortgage, utilities, nothing. The only piece of paper with my name on it is the original contract i signed probably 2 years ago for $1000. Im just worried that if i left for good she'd sue and im curious if she would have a case

diozakaerf

You don't have a "contract" for $1,000 (What is the consideration?), but you may have a promissory note. Because it may or may not be an "instrument" (hence negotiable), I'm not even sure on that. I have a sheet of paper saying you owe me $1 million dollars. The paper is worthless. What it represents may or may not be worthless--depending on the underlying facts.
the "contract" or promissory note as you call it, stems from when i had an apt, i couldnt pay the rent and she did for me. So that's where the $1000 comes from, so the contract in essence is stating that ill repay a small loan

LdiJ

Nothing has my name on it. Not the bills, mortgage, utilities, nothing. The only piece of paper with my name on it is the original contract i signed probably 2 years ago for $1000. Im just worried that if i left for good she'd sue and im curious if she would have a case
Ok, you and your girlfriend are living together and as people normally do in that circumstance, you are splitting the bills. What she is writing down on that "piece of paper" is basically the rent that you are supposed to be paying because you get to live in the home...and according to you, you are paying/catching up that rent each payday. There is nothing money grubbing about that...that is completely normal.

Basically you are a month to month tenant and she cannot evict you without going through the proper legal procedures. However, you deciding not to pay your share of the bills anymore would give her ample legal basis to start eviction proceedings.

Silverplum

There is nothing money grubbing about that...that is completely normal.
I find it abnormal: who actually splits each and every shopping trip in half? Who actually splits every single expenditure 50-50?

:rolleyes:

But hey, if accountants do it that way, by all means, grub away.

It's a new bumper sticker! "Accountants do it grubbily!" :p

diozakaerf

Right i get that i pay each payday to catch up. Im not calling her money grubbing. Im not deciding not to pay whats on those sheets right now, that would be a whole other problem. But my question is: If i move out today, and on that "sheet" is say $500 from groceries we bought this week, a couple of bills and things like that, am i legally responsible to pay that $500 when i never signed any kind of lease/tennant agreement?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Don't get so stuck on the signature. Did you AGREE to pay certain things that she purchased/paid for on your behalf?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">