• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Distress

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BLS25

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I am a contractor and I’m being sued. This past winter I started a job for a lady that involved installing a drain (to collect water run-off from the hill behind her house), connect drains from downspouts from the house, remove a broken up sidewalk and install a new sidewalk. The lady wasn't satisfied with the new concrete sidewalk I had poured so I offered to remove it and allow another contractor to come and perform that task at no charge to her. She agreed but then wanted me to finish the rest of the work for free. I refused, so she threatens to sue me. I tried to come to an agreement with her since she wasn’t satisfied. I told her I would refund half of the deposit she had given me although the work I had already done minus the sidewalk was way more than the deposit. I just wanted to get rid of her and be done with it. Then once I told her I could refund her some of the money she started getting demanding and requesting it at once. Well needless to say I said to hell with her (didn't pay) and she is now suing me for deposit. The original job estimate was 5600, she had given me 1800 upfront, I spent over 2500 on the drains. I wasn't able to finish because she told me to stop work. I know I’m probably screwed because I told her I would give her a refund but this lady is a nightmare. Is there any way of beating this. I've been in business for 6 years now and never once had a complaint. All of my customers have been pleased and gave me more work. Thanks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">