• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor took $550 home plans almost 7 months ago - Still without them

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Idolized1

Hi, I have a quick question regarding a situation I am involved in with a contractor.

Approximately 6 1/2 months ago I met with a guy who was going to give me a quote on what it would cost to build a home. I brought him my original copy of blueprints ($550 cost) and he told me he would need to take them to his lumber guy and that my quote would be ready within one week.

After two weeks of not hearing back from him I left him a phone message just asking how everything was coming along.

I got no response and waiting over another week before calling him again.

I went over 3 months without him returning a single call before I finally called the Sheriff's Department (he lives in another county, about 70 miles away) to just ask if they could contact him.

Magically, about 10 minutes after his Sheriff's Department contacted him he called me back. He was very quiet and told me he basically misplaced my plans. He said he would get me a new set if I got him the total cost.

The next day I got the cost of the plans and called him back. Again, no answer.

It went over 2 weeks where he didn't answer his phone (right before July) and I finally left a message (polite) and said I didn't know what to do anymore with him and I am sick of waiting and being without my plans. I told him I either have to go to small claims court or call the BBB or Attorney General if I don't hear something soon.

He phoned me back about 2 days later and accused me of threatening and bullying him. This is ridiculous and I explained to him that I have been very civil and very patient, but I would like an update on my plan situation.

He told me he would order the plans and that was over 5 weeks ago. They take only 2 to arrive.

Now he won't return texts or calls again after he supposedly ordered my plans.

Do I have a case here or should I be handling this any different?

I also own my own business and don't want any more trouble than I have to have, but I would like my original copy back so I can move on with this once and for all.

Thank you.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Hi, I have a quick question regarding a situation I am involved in with a contractor.

Approximately 6 1/2 months ago I met with a guy who was going to give me a quote on what it would cost to build a home. I brought him my original copy of blueprints ($550 cost) and he told me he would need to take them to his lumber guy and that my quote would be ready within one week.

After two weeks of not hearing back from him I left him a phone message just asking how everything was coming along.

I got no response and waiting over another week before calling him again.

I went over 3 months without him returning a single call before I finally called the Sheriff's Department (he lives in another county, about 70 miles away) to just ask if they could contact him.

Magically, about 10 minutes after his Sheriff's Department contacted him he called me back. He was very quiet and told me he basically misplaced my plans. He said he would get me a new set if I got him the total cost.

The next day I got the cost of the plans and called him back. Again, no answer.

It went over 2 weeks where he didn't answer his phone (right before July) and I finally left a message (polite) and said I didn't know what to do anymore with him and I am sick of waiting and being without my plans. I told him I either have to go to small claims court or call the BBB or Attorney General if I don't hear something soon.

He phoned me back about 2 days later and accused me of threatening and bullying him. This is ridiculous and I explained to him that I have been very civil and very patient, but I would like an update on my plan situation.

He told me he would order the plans and that was over 5 weeks ago. They take only 2 to arrive.

Now he won't return texts or calls again after he supposedly ordered my plans.

Do I have a case here or should I be handling this any different?

I also own my own business and don't want any more trouble than I have to have, but I would like my original copy back so I can move on with this once and for all.

Thank you.
US Law ONLY. What US state? :cool:

LdiJ

My apologies.

I live in North Dakota, and he is from South Dakota. We are not very far apart, but I wasn't sure what state this falls under since I handed over the blueprints in ND, and he lost/stole them in SD.
You are going to have to pay for a new set of plans yourself, and then sue him in small claims court in his state/area for the cost of the replacement plans.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">