• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Contractor Who Won't Pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnathanamber

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma
Hello,

Recently I've sued a previous consultant. I sued since he decided not to pay me my half of the funds. He didn't show up in court and so the ruling was in my favor.

We had a previous agreement of $50/week until paid. He paid 70% of the amount owed. In the past three months I have received 3 payments.

He has had issued with his mortgage, car, etc. I have been accomodating, understanding, forgiving, etc. He has taken advantage of that and this month I got a little tired of it. So I pushed him to get me some payments going.

He said he would pay Last Friday, he didn't follow through. This wasn't the 1st time. He has not met appointments with me, and some with our previous client.

He informed me today that he will not continue the payments and threatens to counter-sue if I push any further.

Friday, after he didn't show up... before he told me that he won't make anymore payments, I called the small claims court and asked them about counter-suing. The informed me that that wasn't possible since that period has passed. The consultant should have done that 72 hours prior to thecourt date.

So my questions are:
1. Can he sue me to get that money back and then some? (Which he has threatened previously.)
2. Since the court has already ruled in my favor about this matter, can he sue relating to this issue?

I guess basically, can he sue me over the same issue after the judge has already ruled?

He is self employed so garnishment isn't possible due to him not having a bank account, etc. So I've been offered the opportunity to have a warrant out for his arrest.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Johnathan

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">